Best AMP/DAC for $600 or less for PSB M4U 2
Jul 13, 2014 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

sixsamuraisoldi

Head-Fier
Title, with one exception, I an spring for the B&W P7 if they will work better with an amp.
Other than that, the title is it!
Budget: $600 max
Type of music: Orchestral/cinematic/epic
Other requirements: Must be at least somewhat portable.
I was considering the V-moda Verza, would that be a good option?

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 40
I'm assuming this is a desktop and not a portable set up. If that is the case check out ALO Audio's PanAm Dac/Amp combo. It is $500 and generally receives great reviews.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 40
*Portable, whoops. In that price range try ALO Audio's International Amp/Dac of the Fostex HP-1 Dac/Amp

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 40
Patience (see the posting guidelines about bumping your tread).
smily_headphones1.gif

What equipment do you plan on using the DAC/headphone amp with? Have you considered a high end DAP?

Sorry about that! As I said, the Bower and Wilkins P7 or PSB M4U 2 (i have the psbs but if the B&W's will do better with an amp i could go with the bower and wilkins)

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 40
Sorry about that! As I said, the Bower and Wilkins P7 or PSB M4U 2 (i have the psbs but if the B&W's will do better with an amp i could go with the bower and wilkins)

Yeah. Well you have to hook the headphone amp/dac to something else other than just headphones :wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #14 of 40
Yeah, sorry I had to go eat and go for a walk. I will primarily be using a laptop, although I will also occassionally use an ipad and a samsung galaxy s4 and an lg g3

To be able to use the DAC with an Android phone, you'll want to research and see if the DAC you choose works well with Android or not and with your phone. Some Android phones work well with portable DAC/amps. Some don't. Some portable DAC/amps work well with Android. Some sort of work in that you have to use USB Audio Recorder Pro app, but it won't play with your phone media player. Others work well with all of the sound coming from your phone. Some DAC/amps don't match well with some phones. However, you could always use just the portable headphone amp with your phones by hooking it to the headphone jack on the phone.

You'll also want to look up your iPad model and see the options available for hooking it up Some require lightning adapters. Some you can use a LOD cable with a headphone amp.

Also, will the B&W P7s be better with an amp than the PSB M4U 2? And if so, how much better?

I have no idea or I would have said. LOL

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 40
I've narrowed it down to a couple of amps/dacs combination. (also feel free to suggest other combos also!)
Please tell me which one is best in terms of sound quality alone. (and if possible how big the difference will be)

DAC: Meridian Explorer Amplifier: Schiit Valhalla 2
DAC: Schiit Bifrost Amplifier: Schiit Valhalla 2
DAC/AMP: V-Moda Vamp Verza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back