Best Amp/DAC combo with HD650's for around $200
Sep 28, 2009 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EvilSoundGuy 7

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just purchased some 650's off a member here today and now I'm wondering what the best choice for an amp/dac combo would be for about $200? Right now I'm leaning towards the Head-direct HiFiMan EF2 because it has usb, is relatively small, and the price is right. Obviously I have to listen to the headphones for a while but I have a feeling i'd like an amp that adds a little punch in the high end. Any ideas you guys have would be great. Thanks!

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 10
I would say you're leaning in the right direction. I have a very similar setup and for $200 the EF2 can't be beat as a DAC/amp combo. The DAC is a little thinner than my 0404 USB but the difference is almost negligible and especially after burn-in, the EF2's amp has great warm tubey synergy with the HD650.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by _jon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say you're leaning in the right direction. I have a very similar setup and for $200 the EF2 can't be beat as a DAC/amp combo. The DAC is a little thinner than my 0404 USB but the difference is almost negligible and especially after burn-in, the EF2's amp has great warm tubey synergy with the HD650.

Great. It seems like I've gotten positive responses about the EF2 from pretty much everyone I've talked to. It's also nice to be able to change tubes and alter the sound if I so desire. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 10
@fdhfdy

which ones would you recommend? I have a similiar set up with the HD650's but also like to use them with RE0

I was looking at the ibasso series. do you have experience with both? care to give some thought on it?

thx

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 10
i personally have not had any experience with ibasso, but by all accounts i have read they are very good. still i'm not sure how well they'd portable would power the hd650 as those things are hungry - i'd consider a desktop amp.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Might want to hold out for some reports on the iBasso D4 that's coming out in two days...dual DAC with rollable opamps, $219.

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I just purchased some 650's off a member here today and now I'm wondering what the best choice for an amp/dac combo would be for about $200? Right now I'm leaning towards the Head-direct HiFiMan EF2 because it has usb, is relatively small, and the price is right.

You really should consider a SS desktop amp to drive the 650, they need a lot of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back