Best Amp / Dac combo for Focal Clear's
Apr 5, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 25
I suspect that sounds from the magni 3 / modi 2 setup would be pretty much the same as the direct connection to IPhone.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 25
I know, I wasn't looking to spend TOO much, was thinking of like a magni 3 / modi 2 or massdrop cth.

Take a look at Fiio Q5 (DAC/AMP combo) or something similar. I purchased Fiio Q5 a week ago, and I am much impressed with its versatility (I love its Bluetooth connectivity). It sounds pretty good (AK4490x2) and has a plenty of power. It can be used as a standalone DAC as well.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 25
I've tried them with a few combos... Schiit Bifrost Multibit + Asgard 2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit + Vali 2, Chord Mojo, and the Phonitor. Chord Mojo is the best match I've found so far -- but Schiit Multibit/Vali 2 has surprisingly good soundstage.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #20 of 25
I know, I wasn't looking to spend TOO much, was thinking of like a magni 3 / modi 2 or massdrop cth.

I currently have a Magni 3 and a Vali 2, and I think the CTH is a better match for the Clears than both. I'd rate them as follows:

CTH > Magni 3 > Vali 2

The differences are distinct but subtle. I think the CTH combines the best of both of the Schiit amps. It has punch and dynamics like the Magni 3 but with better soundstage and air than the Vali 2. My comparison was done with a 1970's gold pin Tesla E88CC 6922 in both the Vali 2 and the CTH. But really, any one of these amps will drive the Clears very well. You can't go wrong with any of them for this headphone.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 25
Finally set on buying the Clear's, now just trying to figure out the best Amp / Dac combo for them.

I'd probably be most interested in a budget all-in-one amp + dac (such as the JOTUNHEIM, or the Massdrop CTH + SDAC DAC/Amp) but feel free to suggest what ever you feel would be best! :D

Thank you <3

The Jotunheim is excruciating with my Elears, I can only imagine it would be much worse with the Clears.

I am loving the MCTH right now. Most Schiit stuff is in my hot mess category, but if you have to go down that road I would recommend the Lyr 3 or even the Valhalla 2. Depends on the sound you want.

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 25
I currently have a Magni 3 and a Vali 2, and I think the CTH is a better match for the Clears than both. I'd rate them as follows:

CTH > Magni 3 > Vali 2

The differences are distinct but subtle. I think the CTH combines the best of both of the Schiit amps. It has punch and dynamics like the Magni 3 but with better soundstage and air than the Vali 2. My comparison was done with a 1970's gold pin Tesla E88CC 6922 in both the Vali 2 and the CTH. But really, any one of these amps will drive the Clears very well. You can't go wrong with any of them for this headphone.
Do you think the CTH would fair decently well with other headphones, such as the ATH ADX5000 or HD800?

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 25
It seems like the Clears are not as particular about power as some other headphones, which I can slightly attest to as I was able to get clean, controlled output from my phone. However, I would definitely advise that you invest more money in the DAC, as the extra resolution will most definitely show. The amplifier (IMO) should likely be of the clean, neutralish, low-noise variety, although I'd advise against the Jotunheim (with every headphone I've tried, the Jot seemed to impose a 2-dimensional, unnaturally forward quality on the upper-midrange).

The Magni 3 or Vali 2 should be very good options (and excellent values). I'd recommend at least Mimby for a DAC, and wouldn't hesitate to even use a Gumby (but again, I might be biased). Lyr 3 multibit might be worth a try if you want an all-in-one.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 25
It seems like the Clears are not as particular about power as some other headphones, which I can slightly attest to as I was able to get clean, controlled output from my phone. However, I would definitely advise that you invest more money in the DAC, as the extra resolution will most definitely show. The amplifier (IMO) should likely be of the clean, neutralish, low-noise variety, although I'd advise against the Jotunheim (with every headphone I've tried, the Jot seemed to impose a 2-dimensional, unnaturally forward quality on the upper-midrange).

The Magni 3 or Vali 2 everyone has mentioned should be very good options (and excellent values). I'd recommend at least Mimby for a DAC, and wouldn't hesitate to even use a Gumby (but again, I might be biased). Lyr 3 multibit might be worth a try if you want an all-in-one.
I was really interested in the CTH that people have been recommending me. What do you think of that?

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 25
I was really interested in the CTH that people have been recommending me. What do you think of that?

I haven't heard it yet unfortunately, but it seems to be every bit as good! All of the Massdrop stuff has me curious. There are so many excellent amps being released nowadays, all with good design and value. No doubt a slightly different flavor. It's difficult to say without trying them yourself first, unfortunately. We all have different preferences.

See if there's ever any Head-Fi meets in your area, that would be a good place to start. Otherwise, I'd say, be prepared to buy and sell! It's all part of the Head-Fi journey.

Massdrop stuff seems to sell used for close or equal to it's price new, so if you try the CTH, you should be able to mostly break even if you happen to try something else. With Schiit, they have their 15-day return policy. If you get something from Amazon, you have a (generally) 30-day period. Use your ears and have fun with the hobby :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back