Best Amp and/or DAC I can get with 200$
May 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

seppy50

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have spent 5 hours looking at many threads regarding the subject. I have just purchased a pair of akg k550s (my first expensive pair of headphones, except for the 200$ over ear Bose which broke) and they are being shipped right now. Now I know I don't need an amp for akg k550 but I would still like to consider my options. I personally don't mind a portable device but I'm always at a desk. Be it at a library or at home. If I get a desktop amp and use it with my phone beside a wall plug in can this be achieved?

I have read reviews on e7,10,12,17, 18 and JDS labs C5 and I was most impressed by e12 until I realized that I may not need a portable device and something with a DAC would benefit me if going non portable. I also saw a lot of negative comments regarding the e17 and e18 and how it was outmatched by the e12. I like to listen to music mostly on my phone but I like to use my desktop as well. However, my laptop is a Dell studio 1747 which probably means it does not need a DAC.. I plan on buying a CCK for home use and not for the go if cheap.

Currently I've been using my phone's bluetooth to play music wirelessly to a bluetooth receivever connected to my speakers. I know bluetooth reduces quality and I probably will stop as soon as I get amp and/or a DAC but I'm curious if it can improve the sound coming from bluetooth as well. Setup will be Phone -> bluetooth reveiver -> amp/DAC -> speakers.

Also, I really do not want to go over 150$ But am flexible to 200$. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. I want an all around good amp to make my akg 550 better. I listen to almost all genres. I'm using an iPhone 5s with 320 bitrate songs + selective ALAC.

Ultimately, looking for an amp on the go and DAC + amp at home.

If anyone is too busy to comment, there's a poll which will help me in making my decision as well.  Thanks!

May 2, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 2
FiiO E17
It can use it's DAC and amplifier with any desktop or laptop or Mac (and even a lot of modern TVs)
and you can use it's amplifier with your phone.
Chances are your phone can decently drive the K550, on it's own.
The AKG K550 is very easy to drive, even the $27 FiiO E6 amp could drive the K550s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back