Best amp and dac for HD600.
Aug 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

freedom04

New Head-Fier
Good day everyone. I am new to the audiophile world and I would like some help on what to choose. So here's my situation, I currently have a Sennheiser HD600 (which I'm powering up with my old JDS C5, source is either my FiiO X3 [DAC function if I am using my laptop] or my MacBook Pro) and I am looking for an Amp and DAC upgrade for it, a friend of mine recommended the iFi iDSD because of its awesome DAC section plus the strong headphone amp and it is also portable (but I think it would be a waste since I don't even have DSD files). Another friend of mine recommended the Bottlehead Crack OTL (but I think I'll encounter problems in building it). I did some readings and discovered the brand Schiit and I am quite attracted with their Valhalla 2 and the Bitfrost/Modi DAC.

I find it really hard to decide, so what should I really get?
1. iFi iDSD ($500)
2. Bottlehead Crack OTL ($280) + a decent DAC (maybe a Schiit Modi for $99)
3. Schiit Valhalla 2 ($349) + Schiit Modi ($99)
4. Any other suggestions?

Budget is $500-$600.

Thank you for your feedback and comments. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi there. I am in the same situation as you! Currently looking for an amp in the same price range for my HD 600s :)

Firstly I agree that if you don't often listen to 24-bit DSD files then the iDSD is a waste of money. That's kind of the whole point of it.

Secondly, to my ears there is actually very little distance between most solid state amps in this price range. Today I tested out the $130 JDS O2 and the $600 Alo International and found that besides the slightly improved detail on the Alo) they sounded almost exactly the same!

Tubes amps like the Valhalla, on the other hand, do tend to sound a little warmer and more laid back than solid state amps but that's not necessarily better - it just depends on your music taste and whether you prefer the sound to be relaxing or more engaging.

Either way, the HD 600s are a very flexible headphone and seem to work well with many amps. My advice is check out some local hi-fi stores and test some yourself before buying. You may find that the difference in quality compared to your JDS C5 isn't worth the money.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 15
Hi freedom04,

The HD600, 700 and 800 all require higher power to drive.  I will certainly defer to more experienced folks here to provide you with a recommendation.  However, I can tell you that with the HD800's I purchased the HDVD 800 Amp/DAC from Sennheiser and it is amazing.  However that Amp/DAC is 2K.  I'm not sure with the 600 if you can spend $500-600 and drive that to its peak levels to get the max value out of your cans... all three models require about the same power so that is the point I'm trying to make.  The HDVD800 with the HD800 I'm at halfway volume and listening normally... if I want loud and crazy I need to go 3/4's.  Just something to think about.  However, I am deferring to those that may have the amp/DAC's on your list and have similar cans.   I'm gonna watch this thread to see what develops as I'd love to know myself. Good luck man.  

Added:
I even tried the VModa Vamp Verza ($598 Amazon) when I first got the HD800's because I didn't want to spend 2K more lol.. it drove the HD800's but forget about hearing bass or really driving them. Totally not worth it so I splurged... that's probably a good reference.  Now I use the Verza for my IEM's when I travel combined with the Denon audio app (iPhone 5) and they are awesome.  But the HD800 said no way man... Here's a good review of them all with a chart you can see the power they need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZ7oU-7AHs&list=UU6BW8DqrAmBEIeCtMa4bfBw

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 15
  Good day everyone. I am new to the audiophile world and I would like some help on what to choose. So here's my situation, I currently have a Sennheiser HD600 (which I'm powering up with my old JDS C5, source is either my FiiO X3 [DAC function if I am using my laptop] or my MacBook Pro) and I am looking for an Amp and DAC upgrade for it, a friend of mine recommended the iFi iDSD because of its awesome DAC section plus the strong headphone amp and it is also portable (but I think it would be a waste since I don't even have DSD files). Another friend of mine recommended the Bottlehead Crack OTL (but I think I'll encounter problems in building it). I did some readings and discovered the brand Schiit and I am quite attracted with their Valhalla 2 and the Bitfrost/Modi DAC.
I find it really hard to decide, so what should I really get?
1. iFi iDSD ($500)
2. Bottlehead Crack OTL ($280) + a decent DAC (maybe a Schiit Modi for $99)
3. Schiit Valhalla 2 ($349) + Schiit Modi ($99)
4. Any other suggestions?

Audio-GD NFB-11, $355+shipping.
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 15

Audio-GD NFB-11, $355+shipping.
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Can I quickly jump in here and ask if you have compared the Audi-GD to the O2+ODAC?

It was mentioned in a similar thread I posted yesterday and am interested to hear comparisons between the two.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for those feedbacks! Apparently, my friend recommended the iDSD to me because he said it would mostly eliminate my need for a separate desktop and portable amp, he said I only need the iDSD and the iUSB (for desktop use). It kinda makes sense to me. Anyway, I would appreciate more feedbacks. Thanks a lot guys. :)

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 15
  Can I quickly jump in here and ask if you have compared the Audi-GD to the O2+ODAC?
It was mentioned in a similar thread I posted yesterday and am interested to hear comparisons between the two.

May not be a big difference in audio quality, as they both use a Sabre DAC chip.
The Audio-GD just comes with more input and output features.
I like with the Audio-GD that I can connect using S/PDIF, so I can still use the computer's sound card features.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 15

My progression: O2+ODAC -> Asgard 2 + ODAC -> NFB-11. Definitely go with the NFB-11 over the O2 + ODAC:

* good bit more powerful amp
* multiple inputs
* more user-friendly front panel
* slight bit better SQ (IMO)
* pre-amp/line outs for hooking up powered speakers/speaker amp

The Sabre DAC in the NFB-11 is normally only available in much more expensive units with other manufacturers. If that's not of interest to you, get the NFB-15. Same amp/same features as the NFB-11, but different DAC chip.

freedom04: I have trouble imagining the iFi Nano will compete with the NFB-11.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 15
My progression: O2+ODAC -> Asgard 2 + ODAC -> NFB-11. Definitely go with the NFB-11 over the O2 + ODAC:

* good bit more powerful amp
* multiple inputs
* more user-friendly front panel
* slight bit better SQ (IMO)
* pre-amp/line outs for hooking up powered speakers/speaker amp

The Sabre DAC in the NFB-11 is normally only available in much more expensive units with other manufacturers.

Hello again! :)

The Audio-DG is without question a more powerful and feature complete unit however it is a good deal bigger and I'm not sure I'll need the extra input options.

The limited edition O2+ODAC comes with line out RCA in the back for pre-amp /active speakers and the same Sabre DAC chip (if I'm not mistaken). I think for my purposes it might be the better choice.

(sorry for butting in, OP!)

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 15
The ODAC uses the Sabre ES9023; the NFB-11, the ES9018. This is why the NFB-11 is a good bit more than the NFB-15. Much more expensive DAC chip. As for the extra options, I thought the same thing. :wink:

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Hey everyone, hoping some HD 600 or similar owners can help me out here. I'm etching to buy a DAC/AMP as soon as possible.

I was originally thinking of the Schiit Modi uber 2 / Magni uber 2 or Vahalla 2. However there wasn't great stock levels in the UK, and I ended up doing some more research.

I'm now thinking Audio-GD is my best bet. I understand some people have had some driver issues but I'm quite PC literate and am fairly confident I can get a fix - also read that newer models/drivers (2014/2015) have fixed issues. 

I hear the Audio-GD are generally better sounding and more powerful than the Schiit combos - however one of the most important things is I also currently have a pre-amp/integrated amp setup for my speakers through a Xonar DS sound-card. I read that some of the Audio - GD will allow me to plug my speakers in, or even my pre-amp if I wanted to adjust sound signature, and have headphones in front - so it seems a win win. I can also use coaxial / SPDIF from my Xonar DS or USB as well as adding OAMP to Xonar DS. Makes me future proof and allows lots of flexibility, and sound signature changes.

For the most part I use Spotify Premium as my source of music on "Extreme Quality" as I have a large library and it saves me a lot of hassle in terms of music management.

Is there a particular model one would suggest for me for the HD600 from the Audio-GD range and is there anyone who thinks I'd be wrong going this route instead of Schiit (bearing in mind my speakers I mentioned above). I'm new  to the audiophile scene but reading that the Sabre DAC chip is the bomb - however the model numbers of the Audio-GD confuse me as they same random and different release dates (i.e. models aren't sequential with quality/released dates). 

I'm wanting one of the later models (2014/2015) so it has fixes for any old bugs, hardware/software issues with the decent Sabre DAC chip. I was looking at the NFB-11 as it has decent DAC chip is a DAC/AMP combo powerful enough for my HD600s and allows flexibility with my speakers/old pre-amp or intergrated amp. (I hear there's a 2014 or newer revision. - whats the NFB-11.32?) - Is there any customs that are worth adding to the NFB-11?

P.S. - When I say I'm etching to buy a DAC ASAP I may literally jump on the NFB-11 DAC/AMP combo minutes after this post... in the hope I qualify for the 5% discount. - so if anybody knows about this HD600 pairing and could give me quick reason to either follow through or not too that would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm wanting one of the later models (2014/2015) so it has fixes for any old bugs, hardware/software issues with the decent Sabre DAC chip. I was looking at the NFB-11 as it has decent DAC chip is a DAC/AMP combo powerful enough for my HD600s and allows flexibility with my speakers/old pre-amp or intergrated amp. (I hear there's a 2014 or newer revision. - whats the NFB-11.32?) - Is there any customs that are worth adding to the NFB-11?

The NFB-11.32 is the older version.
Audio-GD just dropped the .32 for the newer version (NFB-11).

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 15

The NFB-11.32 is the older version.
Audio-GD just dropped the .32 for the newer version (NFB-11).

Thank's again, you've been very kind with all your replies to me!

I see that you have a Audio-GD NFB- 15.32. What are your thought's of me going for the NFB-11 (2015) given my situation? (HD600s and speakers>upgradable later)

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm currently trialling a Project Ember hybrid valve amp from Garage1217. I'm coming from an O2 and the difference is astonishing! I've had the amp for about a month now and I'll be buying one. Well, maybe. I'm awaiting delivery of a Project Polaris amp to do a back-to-back comparison with the Ember. I'm using an ODAC XL as the source.

The Ember allows loads of tube-rolling options and it's auto-bias feature makes this very easy. I've only tried the stock tube but I've been blown away.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 15
  Thank's again, you've been very kind with all your replies to me!

I see that you have a Audio-GD NFB- 15.32. What are your thought's of me going for the NFB-11 (2015) given my situation? (HD600s and speakers>upgradable later)

If your really big on detail in your audio, then the NFB-11 is the better choice, I'm guessing classical music is something where you want a lot of detail.
Or any music where you are using a lot of instruments.

I admit I've spent time trying to convince myself (more so in the past) to sell off my NFB-15.32, for a new NFB-11.
But most of the music I listen to is fairly "simple" and only once in a great while do I get the urge to want some 1812 Overture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back