Best American Composers and 4th of July Classical
Jul 2, 2004 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

silentperfection

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I like to listen to Classical but don't know much about it. Tomorrow I'm subbing the classical radio show that goes before me due to the DJ's illness. I would like to continue in his tradition of playing only american music in honor of the 4th of July. This includes american composers and foreign composers works for the 4th of july. Any help from my fellow classical head-fiers would be much appreciated. And as always you can listen in tomorrow morning from 9AM-2PM pacific at kuci.org or under public stations on itunes KUCI. Or Irvine local area 88.9FM. Thanks guys!

Jul 2, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 5
You don't seem to getting much response, so here's a list of composers you might like to consider. I assume you have some sort of catalog for the station's collection.

Anderson, Leroy
Barber, Samuel
Copland, Aaron
Dvorak, Antonin (worked in the US. American Quartet, Symphony #9 "From the New World)
Gershwin, George
Glass, Philip
Gould, Morton
Grofe, F.
Hanson, Harold
Harris, Roy
Herbert, Victor
Joplin, Scott
Lloyd Webber, Andrew (Variations for Cello and Orchestra)
MacDowell, Edward
McPhee, Colin
Sousa, John Philip
Thompson, Virgil
Waxman, Frank

Hope it helps.

Good luck

BW

Jul 2, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
At KUCI we have the largest classical vinyl collection in all of southern california other than the dedicated classical stations. So it's a pretty large collection. Thanks for the list of composers. That'll at least give me a good start. Thanks. Anyone else? I know Ives has a dedicated 4th of July piece. Anyone know of any other 4th of July piece or Patriotic American pieces.

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamont
And of course Leonard Bernstein!

Missed that one. Only have B. in the show music section.
rolleyes.gif

Mea culpa.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back