Best allrounder, but good for hard rock, not too soft sounding or recessed UNDER $1000
Mar 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Matt head 777

100+ Head-Fier
So far came across HE-500 , LCD-2 or AH-D7000 . Rock, hard rock is dominant genre.

I currently just received a pair of denon d5000's but they are faulty (have a static crackle noise in right headphone). Not sure whether to get refund, exchange for different headphones or go for the D7000...

Edit:

Headphones tried so far;

HD518, likely similar to 598, 558 if eq'd. But even then found sound to be too soft and the highs like cymbals to be a bit tizzy.

AH-D5000, just got these. Overall sound is good, able to hear lowest bass notes with r&b changing. I noticed the recessed mids which might require eq, do people like eq? it sounded better, but would prefer not to have eq mids, bass I don't mind eqing.WHy stuff with sensitive mids unless you have too...

Also considering the AH-D7000 to correct above with D5000. However I'm conflicted with reports of the bass with D7000, people say it's tighter but then I also read article that said, quote; "The D7000 makes some gains in the highs and mids with a lusher, smoother, and more organic sound while improving in detail articulation as well—very nice.  Unfortunately, they also are a little looser and less controlled sounding in the lows; this can be seen in the 50Hz square wave measurement with the trailing edge of the waveform crossing the central zero axis. Because all the baffle plates look identical, I assume this has something to do with the slightly larger internal volume of the housing." - headphone.com. I wonder if filling in the cups with deadener to reduce internal volume (like with the markl mod) would correct the report in qoute above, yea I understand acoustics. I also wonder if eqing the bass down with the D5000 with give the sound of tighter bass like the D7000. I use a pc with 10 band eq to do this a bit crap, para on my phone is better (listening to fear factory now rocks eq'd with para.

Music I like;  lamb of god, tool, fear factory and other tastes like Beck, Elliott smith even... So forth I suspect with better headphones my taste will extend ie liking female vocals, piano etc Maybe even try some binaural recordings.

One problem based on my experience with frequency response is that models like the LCD-2 v 2 is that the frequencies are greatly rolled off according to graph at inner fidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf How can anoyone consider that accurate?

I'm considering the D7000 or the HE-500, I've read reports that it does well with rock and metal and allrounder, but another report suggested that the LCD-2 was preferred for rock and metal in regards to the bass, I don't know if that suggests the HE-500 is not ideal for rock metal. Again I wonder if can eq bass if required to give better sound with the HE-500 if required. The D7000 is probably a good allrounder?

Regarding amps currently using cmoybb which I will be selling. Considering an O2 amp which should have the oomph to power all phones suggested, right? Edit: Just bought o2 amp.

Thanks Kernmac.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 45
Probably the reason why you haven't got any replies is because there isn't much for anyone to reply to.  You are looking for  good all rounders up to $1000, (which eliminates around less than 10 current production headphones) and yet there is no information regards to your preferences and even less information on your system (source, amp) and basically nothing in regards to what you have used/listen to in the past. 

My advice is:

a) Don't spend a $1,000 until you have some idea of the sound you seek.
b) Don't spend a $1,000 until you have gained some experience with less costly headphones.
c) Once you climb the headphone ladder (so to speak) it isn't really about x is better then y, it is more about preference.

A new driver shouldn't rush out and purchase a Porsche, Ferrari etc, they could end up purchasing something relatively expensive that just doesn't hit the spot.

If you have had some experience with other headphones then that would be helpful information for people to give you an idea of what you might like.  If you don't provide more information, then my guess is that you will either get:

a) Bugger all replies
b) People posting their favorites which will be totally bloody useless to you unless you want to spend your $1000 on a popularity contest winner.

In fact let me start the ball rolling with my two favorite all rounders, the T1 and LCD2.  IMO Headfi is more a journey than a destination, and trying different signatures to find what you like is a large part of the experience. YMMV

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 45

Quote:
Heya,

Sennheiser HD700?

Very best,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Another question for you, I noticed on the board that your familiar with the HE-500 and the Denon's. What do you think about choosing between them for prerequisites in the first post? I read one comment that with the HE-500 the "dynamics" aren't as good & "3d" effect isn't as good (the 3d sound like sound is around you) What do you think? Also which is more likely to distort on loud passages?

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 45

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Another question for you, I noticed on the board that your familiar with the HE-500 and the Denon's. What do you think about choosing between them for prerequisites in the first post? I read one comment that with the HE-500 the "dynamics" aren't as good & "3d" effect isn't as good (the 3d sound like sound is around you) What do you think? Also which is more likely to distort on loud passages?

Heya,

The HE-500 is fantastic, it's the most natural sounding headphone I've listened to which is why it's become my primary at home pretty much. I use my Denons when I want more sub-bass. The HE-500 has great bass, but sometimes when I'm listening to House/Trance, I just want huge 30hz drops and the Denons provide that a bit better. The HE-500 has mids that will blow you away, so it's great for things that have guitar and crunch. It's not too bright (HE6) but it's not dull either (HD650). Planars in general are not very 3D-esque, because the drives cannot be angled (yet). But I don't have a problem with that.  The sound stage is good, and I don't feel like it's too stereo sounding at all. Sounds great to me. But it needs a lot of power (at least a watt, but I suggest more honestly).

I mentioned the HD700 because it's reported to have fantastic low end, great mids, isn't bright, and has a great sound stage. Probably would be great for your needs. But I have not had it on my head yet, so I'm waiting for it to crop up here and there and plan on getting one myself.

Very best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 45

Quote:
Heya,

The HE-500 is fantastic, it's the most natural sounding headphone I've listened to which is why it's become my primary at home pretty much. I use my Denons when I want more sub-bass. The HE-500 has great bass, but sometimes when I'm listening to House/Trance, I just want huge 30hz drops and the Denons provide that a bit better. The HE-500 has mids that will blow you away, so it's great for things that have guitar and crunch. It's not too bright (HE6) but it's not dull either (HD650). Planars in general are not very 3D-esque, because the drives cannot be angled (yet). But I don't have a problem with that.  The sound stage is good, and I don't feel like it's too stereo sounding at all. Sounds great to me. But it needs a lot of power (at least a watt, but I suggest more honestly).

I mentioned the HD700 because it's reported to have fantastic low end, great mids, isn't bright, and has a great sound stage. Probably would be great for your needs. But I have not had it on my head yet, so I'm waiting for it to crop up here and there and plan on getting one myself.

Very best,

Thanks mate, I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger on some D7000. From all accounts their an improvement on the D5000/D2000 some more expressively great than others. I get two points of view those that try to justify the D2000 to the D5000 as being similar and those that they say D2000 is significantly lesser than D7000.  The main point with D5k and D7k is tighter less bloated bass. On the other hand the D5000 appears to go lower on the headphone.com graphs (half an octave). Have you noticed this? Can the d5k be similar to D7k eq'd?

thanks

Maybe I should be a god (new product) and try the HD700. Haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 45
The LCD's do not have rolled off highs, they extend way up. They are recessed not rolled off.

However with the right amp even the resession is eliminated. On the Master-6 my LCD-2 r2's have no recessed hf's. However that is with the balanced silver TWAG-2 cable but that only brought out the hf's slightly with my old r1 version.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 45

Quote:
sorry rolled off is the word I would use, see this; http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf.

Your link does not work but I have seen many frequency graphs of the LCD's r1 & r2 versions and many are different hence the reason Audeze supply a graph with every pair.
I would not read much into one frequency response graph.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 45

Quote:
Your link does not work but I have seen many frequency graphs of the LCD's r1 & r2 versions and many are different hence the reason Audeze supply a graph with every pair.
I would not read much into one frequency response graph.

I get the impression they are lowered you could say, what does your graph look like, would like to see that.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 45

Quote:
cheers, honest opinion how would you say the treble mids are? do they feel unexciting?

I have heard the LCD-2 r1's on my Audio-gd Roc & Woo6se and I would never call then 'unexciting'. The LCD's, in my experience, have great presence and power in their presentation.

I now have the R2 version,which are a little brighter and livelier still and with my Audio-gd Master-6 I just can't stop listening. The dynamics,detail,presence and overall presentation is just stunning. I have not listened to the LCD's on my Woo yet because I just can't stop listening to them on the Master-6. Maybe its the power output of the Master-6 but the LCD's are just an enthralling & exhilarating experience with no darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back