Best all rounded headphone?
Nov 18, 2006 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I am looking for a new pair of open headphones for around $100. I will not be using an amp and mostly using them from a portable CD player or computer. I want a pair that is good for any music genre and has a decent soundstage for movies or games. I am thinking about the Senn h555. Is this a good choice and does anyone have any other recommendations?

Nov 18, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 11
The standard recommendations for this sort of query tend to be the Sennheiser HD555, the Grado SR-60 or SR-80 and the Allesandro MS-1. Of these, only the Sennheiser goes around your ear. It will also have the best soundstage but it is not quite so easily powered from an unamped source.

Nov 18, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 11
If my experience with the 595 is any indication, an unamped HD555 won't have as huge a soundstage advantage over the MS1 an amped HD555 would.

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 11
The unamped HD555 has a huge soundstage, on every single source I tried it on. I didn't get any upgrade from amping. It was conceived to give your ears real hi-fi quality, from about any source. Very easy to drive. A great headphone. Real comfy too.

Go with the HD555. It's no simple do it all. It's a life changing experience.

eggosmile.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the help. I currently have the grado sr60 and it is a bit too harsh and bright for me. The souinstage is also lacking. I am going to get the hd555 but may consider getting the ms-1 in the future as well. How does the ms-1 compare in terms of harshness, brightness and soundstage to the sr60?

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 11
If you don't really like the SR60, chances are you won't like the MS1 any more.

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 11
I just got my HD555 from the for sale forums...as im using my puter as a source i can notice a HUGE improvement from my last headphones.

I havent had a chance to listen to grado's but i know, from reading, they are brighter then the HD555. These headphones are fantastic to my ears. I had to adjust the eq alittle to get the mids in line. However, once i got there, im in total love.

Right now using a A2 plat with the break out box. I tested the phones plugged directly into the card and then plugged into the breakout box. I could not tell a bit of difference between them. I know people say to use the phones directly plugged in, but if i cant tell a difference, then its easier to have them plugged into the break out box.

I am looking to get a small portable amp to see if i can give them alittle more bass power on lower volumes.

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 11
hd555's are my first and currently only "audiophile-worthy" headphones. i used it with an ipod nano and out from my audigy2zs... i'd say im pretty darn satisfied...
the only thing that i want to know now is how a $1000+ setup would sound like!

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd555's are my first and currently only "audiophile-worthy" headphones. i used it with an ipod nano and out from my audigy2zs... i'd say im pretty darn satisfied...
the only thing that i want to know now is how a $1000+ setup would sound like!

don't think that! curiosity is the worst thing you can have coming into this forum. prepare to spend alot of money.
eggosmile.gif

sorry for your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back