Best all around headphones under $140.00
Apr 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by synister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot find the Alessandro MS1 (or MS1i). How good is the Denon's AH-D1001 sound stage? A couple of reviews I read on amazon stated it is not for bass heads. I trust your word over a review on amazon, but I am always skeptical before I purchase anything. Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

The more reviews on Amazon or shopping sites, the less you pay attention to them and the less you value the opinion of many people, because, as always, people get things wrong and blame the equipment (everyone). They're only useful for extra information on accessories, packaging, maybe build quality ("I've had these speakers for two years now and...") and niggly problems (an iPod docking station that caused the iPod to vibrate at high volumes, for example, or a keyboard with illumination that cannot be turned off, etc.)

Denon D1001 are pretty good all round. They would be a great buy and at less than RRP - I paid 2/3 of RRP (in my country) for a brand new sealed pair, and I'm happy - although the only issue is that I got a pair with a jack adapted for the first iPhone - protudes at the 'start' of the jack.

I can confirm that they do have substantial bass, most reviews say this too - there's even mods to address this/tweak this.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 26
If you are worried about sound leaking due to apartment living than you will probably not want to get an open can, which is unfortunate, since some Grado SR-60s would probably fit the bill at a very competitive price.

Since you like some bass and don't want sound to leak, my vote is for some closed cans. Awhile ago I was looking for some closed cans around $100 and was considering the Sony V6, Denon D1001 and Sennhesier 448. I've listened to the Sony V6s and Denon D1001s. I've also heard the Sennhesier 448s are good as well but haven't listened to them. I like the Denon more than the Sony since it has more soundstage, less aggressive highs, and a more refined sound overall. Bass is quite nice on the Denon and not too boomy.

Also, you can modify the cable on the Denon 1001s to clear up the sound a bit. Its pretty easy.

Don't bother with the Sennheiser 555. I have the 595 and don't find them too exciting for rock and metal. Grados are way better for rocking out.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Is the bass on the SRH-840 comparable to the AKG 240 MK II? This is my primary concern because of the type of music I listen to. Thanks for your input, it really has helped me narrow down my search!

The 240 MK II definitely seemed to have much more bass then the SRH-840. It wasn't boomy and didn't ruin the music though. If I remember right, I could actually feel it vibrate the earpads. I don't think i've ever had that with the SRH-840 that I recall. For me, even just the smallest amount of more bass on the SRH-840 and it would ruin it for me. It's that perfect, no joke. The bass on the 240 is a bit between the 840 and the D2000. Not even close to the level of the D2000's bass though. Anyone know how the DT-770's bass would compare to these? Those things scare me.

These 840's are my "upgrade" to the Triple Fi 10 that i've been using for the past three years. I wanted to upgrade to something that sounded similar that had a bit more bass. They pretty much are exactly what I was looking for and I got what I wanted on the first try SOMEHOW!

I can't say they're better then the TF10, but close! I don't even want to even think about comparing them. I'm keeping both for sure.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

I cannot find the Alessandro MS1 (or MS1i). How good is the Denon's AH-D1001 sound stage? A couple of reviews I read on amazon stated it is not for bass heads. I trust your word over a review on amazon, but I am always skeptical before I purchase anything. Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

Here's the MS1.

As far as open cans go, this model has very satisfying bass to my ears. Soundstage suffers compared to some, but for me this headphones strengths far outweigh its weaknesses.
And for the the adventurous that like to tinker and use tools check out the MS1000 thread.

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 26
After researching all of the recommendations I think the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Monitor Headphones will fit me the best. Does anyone have anything negative to say about these headphones? Also, does anyone know if the Zalman clip on mic will work on this cord? I have read the clips really suck for small cords. Thanks for your help everyone, I was about to buy a pair of bad head phones. Considering this is my first set of headphones (I have only used speakers or ear buds up until this point), I cannot wait to get my hands on them =).

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #22 of 26
I just bought these for $99
41HBvMQ5ZWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I haven't heard them yet, though.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 26
I have just ordered the Audio Technica M50S Studio headphones. From the reviews I have read and the overall style I think its exactly what im looking for. Thanks for your help and suggestions, it has really helped me to locate the perfect headphones for me. I will suggest this forum to anyone who may have the same question in the future. You guys rock!

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 26
I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the M50's. I've heard about them a LOT on here. I may try them out eventually.

I'd be be curious if the person who bought the 240's liked them or not. I didn't, but something may be wrong with my ears or i'm too picky. I think the 240 and AKG 240 MK II are similar.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

I have just ordered the Audio Technica M50S Studio headphones. From the reviews I have read and the overall style I think its exactly what im looking for. Thanks for your help and suggestions, it has really helped me to locate the perfect headphones for me. I will suggest this forum to anyone who may have the same question in the future. You guys rock!

You will not be dissapointed, I just got mine. Wow, everything is great about them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back