Best Alan Parsons Project Album?
Jun 22, 2003 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rohorn

100+ Head-Fier
No wrong answers - just have fun!!

I didn't include any of the post Project albums, compilations, or Freudiana.

That said, "The Instrumental Works" is worth owning.....

Jun 22, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 18
I Robot. Man, I remember when that album came out and my dad got it. Absolutely incredible album.

Jun 22, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Understand your poll's caveats, but my AP favorite is Try Anything Once Great album -
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 18
Actually, I've been wondering about that one, "On Air" and "Time". Someday......

I suppose I should have asked which version of "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" is preferred. I was a bit shocked by Orson's naration when the CD started, but I got over it. For what it's worth, the thunderstorm on what would be the second side of that album was recorded with a binaural head. The liner notes are actually worth reading on that CD. I should have bought the MFSL CD when I had the chance, but it seemed like it would always be in the store......

Jun 23, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 18
i just got the Definitive Collection featuring songs from the groups various albums...i didn't know much about Alan Parson's music prior to this and find this collection pretty nice...i only recognize "Time" and "Eye in the Sky" but most of the other songs are enjoyable as well...i think i will be getting I Robot and maybe another album just to hear the concepts the albums depict.

Jun 23, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by squirt
i just got the Definitive Collection featuring songs from the groups various albums...i didn't know much about Alan Parson's music prior to this and find this collection pretty nice...i only recognize "Time" and "Eye in the Sky" but most of the other songs are enjoyable as well...i think i will be getting I Robot and maybe another album just to hear the concepts the albums depict.

Your recomendations for that second album would be "Tales" and "Pyramid" in that order; save yourself a trip/order and get them both at the same time! This was the AP era when their fans wildly anticipated each new release and each new release was to be savored for the concept and event it represented.
600smile.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Your recomendations for that second album would be "Tales" and "Pyramid" in that order; save yourself a trip/order and get them both at the same time! This was the AP era when their fans wildly anticipated each new release and each new release was to be savored for the concept and event it represented.
600smile.gif

Just ordered I Robot, Tales and Pyramid
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
600smile.gif

Yup! Those three are my three favourites as well, their "golden" period.

I only have the MFSL version of Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe, plus the track on the collection that has the additional guitar solo...what's this about a narration on "A Dream Within A Dream"? Did they do all sorts of things to that album? I thought it was only the one guitar solo that they added. I guess I have to get it now, if only out of curiosity.

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, so did I. Went right from here to Amazon thru the link on the front page of head-fi and ordered them. I can't wait as I have never heard anything outside of I Robot.

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by rohorn
No wrong answers - just have fun!!

I didn't include any of the post Project albums, compilations, or Freudiana.

That said, "The Instrumental Works" is worth owning.....

And that's the album I would have voted for, although I don't own it. That was the first album I heard on good headphones a few years ago.

Jul 4, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 18
I just got PYRAMID on vinyl for £0.99 in the local thrift store.
biggrin.gif

I personally love the album EVE, but then again I ROBOT is a most excellent album.

The funny thing about the Alan Parsons Project is that the music is exceptionally well produced (like it could be anything else?) and very melodic and well structured yet obscure. As good as the music is, there is virtually nobody that I know of that has even heard of him let alone listened to his music. In fact one fella only knew of him from the wisecrack in the Austin Powers movie.

Jul 4, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

After getting these albums I may have to change my vote.
frown.gif
I hope that Tale and Pyramid are really that good since they will arrive in about a month or so.

Jul 4, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I just got PYRAMID on vinyl for £0.99 in the local thrift store.
biggrin.gif

I personally love the album EVE, but then again I ROBOT is a most excellent album.

The funny thing about the Alan Parsons Project is that the music is exceptionally well produced (like it could be anything else?) and very melodic and well structured yet obscure. As good as the music is, there is virtually nobody that I know of that has even heard of him let alone listened to his music. In fact one fella only knew of him from the wisecrack in the Austin Powers movie.

I can count myself in as one of the few who only knew of Alan Parsons Project from the 2nd Austin Powers movie...the dorky Dr. Evil named his super laser on the moon "Alan Parsons Project" to which his far more hip and non-evil son sarcastically points out that that happens to be the name of a progressive rock band from 1982...Then Dr. Evil names his secret moon base "Death Star" and his son sneezes-RIP-OFF...

It was because of that movie reference and because the APP song "Voyager" was included in the soundtrack to the movie Ice Castles which i recently got i decided to get my 1st APP album, The Definitive Collection...and with the recommendations of folks here i just got I Robot, Tales and Pyramid and after careful consideration...i can't decide which is my favorite...all three are great...They all possess that special APP magic told in different stories...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back