Best AKG cans?
Apr 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 23
The K340 for sale in the classified section for $150.00 are a steal if you have the amp to drive them properly

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #20 of 23
The headphone out on most vintage integrated amps or receivers will work good. They are around 94 db sensitive at around 200 ohm.. dual drivers one dynamic and an electret tweeter. There are literally hundreds of posts about driving the 340 here in the archives. There are also a couple of easy mods that will help bring out the 340's potential including balanced drive. The set I listen to are driven with a push pull EL84 amp or single ended 2A3 tubes because I love the tone and dimensionality I get from them but can be driven to decent levels (and still sound fantastic) with a little cmoy portable amp. The K340 really can take the power and use it if you have it. I find the 340 to be at the same time very musical and forgiving with good detail - the soundstage is huge.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #21 of 23
When buying a K 340, ask the seller about any channel imbalance in the mids (2-4 kHz). I've seen measurements by Tyll of two pairs of K 340 and they both had the imbalance there. My pair did as well. You'll want as little of it as possible. You probably also want to ask about an imbalance in the treble, which you want none of.

If one was going to drive the K 340 out of a weaker amp, I wouldn't recommend paying more than $70 for them, and even that is probably a bit high. They sound neat, but also have problems (channel imbalance and roller coaster frequency response for starters).

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 23
also ..im really new to all of the hi fi stuff so i dont know about all the balance and all that im really just looking for something that will give some decent sound with an amp of no more than $120 for now 

Quote:
When buying a K 340, ask the seller about any channel imbalance in the mids (2-4 kHz). I've seen measurements by Tyll of two pairs of K 340 and they both had the imbalance there. My pair did as well. You'll want as little of it as possible. You probably also want to ask about an imbalance in the treble, which you want none of.

If one was going to drive the K 340 out of a weaker amp, I wouldn't recommend paying more than $70 for them, and even that is probably a bit high. They sound neat, but also have problems (channel imbalance and roller coaster frequency response for starters).

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #23 of 23
just tested the htf600, decent amount of bass with pretty clear mids that will probably surprise you 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back