Best "affordable" outdoor headphones for under 70$ - recommendation needed!
Oct 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KlarkKentThe3rd

100+ Head-Fier
Since I am getting Grado SR80e for home use, I want to start thinking about the world outside. It is a personal dream of mine to own a pair of good, fairly flat, reasonably detailed, warm phones for outside use. What can you recommend?

I know of iGrados, but the cable looks really thin. And since I like to run while listening, a superthin cable won't live too long.

The budget is 70$ or lower because I don't want to risk breaking something expensive.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 13
For running many get the Koss KSC75 ($15). It has a very warm sound.
The Sennheiser PX100II($50) has a much more refined sound than the KSC75.
It also is likely to be more fragile than the KSC75 though. I have the KSC75, 
and the original Sennheiser PX100.

The KSC75 is so cheap though, you wouldn't mind it so much if you trash it. Some order 2 or 3 at 
a time of the KSC75 just to have spares ready in case you do manage to trash one.

When running, imo it is dangerous to wear headphones or earphones that isolate.

The only real problem when using the KSC75 while exercising is that the earpads soak up sweat which is annoying.

I had the original Grado SR60 and SR80. I grew tired of their unnatural sound after a while. 
What makes people say wow initially when they hear them, is also what makes quite a few people 
get tired of them after a while. I don't know how much of a change the newer versions are from the old ones.

PS. When you say you want warm phones for the outside, I took it to mean tonally warm. 
If you want something that might make your ears overheat when used indoors, then 
look at the Sony V6. It is extremely durable. It would be great to use outside on a very cold day.
I don't know about running in it though.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 13
  For running many get the Koss KSC75 ($15). It has a very warm sound.
The Sennheiser PX100II has a much more refined sound than the KSC75.
The KSC75 is so cheap though, you wouldn't mind it so much if you trash it. Some order 2 or 3 at 
a time of the KSC75 just to have spares ready in case you do manage to trash one.

When running, imo it is dangerous to wear headphones or earphones that isolate.

The only real problem when using the KSC75 while exercising is that the earpads soak up sweat which is annoying.

I used to own the Koss model. The bass is bloated and muddy, and the highs are artificially boosted.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 13
The Koss KSC75 is okay for $15. At that price you can't expect perfection. 
Imo the $12 Soundmagic ES18 IEMs do sound much better, however I never recommend an IEM for running due to safety reasons.
I suggest only open headphones, or open earphones with ear hooks. 

When I am active I use the JVC HAEB75 and boost the bass on my player by 8 or 9 db.It is not warm sounding though.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 13

I had the original Grado SR60 and SR80. I grew tired of their unnatural sound after a while. 
What makes people say wow initially when they hear them, is also what makes quite a few people 
get tired of them after a while. I don't know how much of a change the newer versions are from the old ones.

I am getting in the dangerous territory of opinions, but I consider SR60 to be very natural. And when I say "natural", I mean "sounds like music does IRL". And I have been listening to music critically since the age of 4. Basically, if you are listening to a very high quality recording, and, with little imagination, you could convince yourself you are in the room with the musicians, the (°_°)phones you are wearing are natural.

I wanted to buy something that sounds close to iGrados/SR60, but with a thicker/sturdier cable. Unless, of course, the cable on iGrados is actually made of unbreakenium, and will not break no matter what. I am willing to spend up to 70 dollars, but no more than that.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 13
AKG K518 (any variant) - serious head-clamping is perfect for staying on your head and flattening your ears - but has a v-shaped DJ sound (peaky bass and treble) - take out the ear-side inner-foam to reduce this (sounds a bit better/flatter) and if you're feeling adventurous, remove the earpads, open them up and add some blu-tack/plasticine/modelling-clay to the inside of the cups to tighten up the bass. 

Incase Reflex - depends on how you run, but it's so lightweight it actually sits on the head quite strongly - headband can be bent to hold on tighter (or more loosely).
Fairly neutral sound, no significant peakiness anywhere. But kinda lo-fi sound. Still acceptable though if you can get it 2nd hand or on sale for around $15-20 (seen some for less than that price 2nd hand)

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. However, I need something fairly:
-neutral
-detailed
-warm

Anyone ever owned an iGrado? I mentioned I am afraid of buying it, but if the cable is stronger than it looks, I guess it's worth a try.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 13

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 13
Okay, so I came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-154336-R-80-Home-Headphones/dp/B00005N9D2

That link includes three headphones. Are any of those flat enough (for the price)?

Another candidate is:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000072-4000-Headphones-Discontinued/dp

^is that model relatively flat, or bassy-boomy style?

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 13
I haven't heard them, however the Koss Pro DJ100 and Koss TBSE1 are around $60 and have gotten very good reviews. The TBSE1 has a detachable cord. 
I wouldn't suggest using these while running though.

You might want to listen to these.

You might want to try the Sennheiser PX100II for use while running. I have the original PX100 and like it very much.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 13
I'll start by saying that running with any headphone has a chance to break a cable. From $100 cable to 10, 

I would just make sure you have a foot of "loose" cable with the iGrado, and position it like at your arm or something. or maybne right at your waste and have the cable run straight up your shirt

I think that style of headphone is best for running, and if your running any cable is at risk of brekage. I mean I'm $175 lbs if I trip on my cable, thats a lot of force and weight on that cable, and chances are something is breaking 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back