Best affordable closed cans?
May 28, 2002 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sacriste

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking forward for headphones to use at bed (TV) without disturb my sleeping wife. Isolation, comfort at bed, good sound, affordable. Am I asking for too much? I have a HD-495 and a JMT CMOY, just in case. Please, help.

May 28, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I like the Sony MDR-V6/7506. It meets all of the requirements that you describe:

Affordable: MSRP $79.95 but can usually be had for around $60.00

Isolation: You won't get the dB isolation that you do with the Etys, but they should meet your sleeping WAF requirements.

Good sound: Widely acknowledged here as one of the best sonic "bangs for the buck."

Comfort: They are comfortable enough, even more so when you swap out the pleather pads for some Beyer pads.

I hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Fir in bed listening, I use throw-away type earbuds. Sennheiser MX400s work well for that. They're comfy, sound pretty good and when they wear out or break, just go get another pair!

May 29, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Sacriste---

Hmm, what does "affordable" mean to you? Definition varies a lot; especially in _this_ place...
smily_headphones1.gif

The V6s aren't bad, but they have problems with treble and some find their sound a bit on the analytical side. I like mine, and for $60 they are a deal. But there is a better (though costlier) option...

The Sennheiser HD280s sound a lot better to me, and go for under $100. ($80 low price seen on net, $100 in a "real" store or from Headphone.com). These have better isolation than the V6, have no real sonic flaws, and have a more engaging soundstage IMO. They sound great with a JMT amp as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem with Senn earbuds for close range use near the S.O. is that they leak more than a bit of sound. The V6s are a lot better in terms of less leakage, and the 280s are just about the best. The Etymotic ER6 canal plug is also a great solution, but at $140, it sort of pushes the definition of "affordable".

Finally for pure cheap thrills, the Senn HD 202 at $30 is affordable and better balanced overall than the V6. The 202 lacks the V6s pleasantly deep bass and is not as isolated, but it also lacks the V6s shrill treble and shallow soundstage as well...

So Sacriste, the best solution really depends on your price range needs:

Less than $50: $30-- Sennheiser HD202s

Less than $100: $60-- Sony V6

Less than $125: $100-- Sennheiser HD280

Less than $150: $140-- Etymotics ER6

Also S, I notice you live in Venezuela, so a lot depends on what you can find available locally, unless you want to order internationally from Headphone.com which has all the above phones. Ultimately though I don't think any of the 4 choices above will disappoint...

Let us know what you decide on and can find.

Good hunting!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I prefer beyer 250-80's over the senn hd280. The beyers have more bass and better build quality... they cost a bit more though. :p

Biggie.

May 29, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Notorious, how does the Beyer isolation compare with the hd 280's? Thanks.

May 29, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 9
The isolation spec is better for the Sennheisers, but I haven't used them in real world conditions.

In real world use, the Beyers are not quite as good in terms of isolation as the Sony MDR 7506s either, even though their sound is more polished than either of the other two, IMHO.
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back