Best actual audiophile player
Jun 5, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #76 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge
How about a FLAC-playing Neuros II 80GB (support for FLAC coming soon) with the upcoming Headroom MicroDAC and MicroAMP?
evil_smiley.gif

Wait! Nueros has digital line out? If so, I want one.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #77 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
all these comparisons on high bitrate compression formats are rather moot.

...because we're comparing apples with oranges... MD, CD, Lossless - I've not yet seen a portable player that can utilise all three... so you're not so much comparing formats, than the outputs of the players that can play them back, and we already know - from within this very thread, with references to ipod lack of bass (which I don't notice, but - using 72ohm 'phones probably helps this
wink.gif
) that no two people will ever agree...

I would like to hear a portable player / setup that can sound more 'audiophile' than my main rig in my signature, and that isn't a slam against the portable forum, considering the amount of time that I've put in here, especially with that PCDP shootout from a couple of years back - but, reality bites, and compromises set in... The iPod keeps me happy enough on the go, and if I want to listen to better quality tunes, I fire up my main rig...

...I stopped chasing the impossible dream last year, but for the record, the Sony D211 Discman was about as good as it got for me.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #78 of 88
I wonder how many people who post actually play around with players and listen instead of spending all their time reading and arguing on the basis of poorly controlled RMAA tests run by a monkey or skewed tests with seemingly an agenda.

A 60~80 ohm load more or less takes care of the bass falloff issue (yes I know, some RMAA results show otherwise but try listening to a 2db falloff @ 30hz in music and see whether it really bothers you). The iPod does bass after that, and well. Many other players have audio related issues which are somewhat less surmountable (extraneous noise in audio stage, etc). The iPod with a high-z headphone is an excellent compromise overall, provided you don't play around too much with the sonic flavour as a rule.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
<yawn>
With my iPod photo 60 @ 320K MP3 LAME, HP out with E3Cs or standard buds I can hear a 30.5Hz bassline (Groove Armada - Suntoucher) clearly enough to work out what key it is in (B).
A couple of months ago an iPod-no-bass-hater posted something about an Aphex Twin track "which had a low whoosh" on their iRiver. Because I happened to have that track on my iPod I was able to identify by ear, with stock buds and E3Cs - again direct HP out, that the "low whoosh" was around 27.5Hz.
So the iPod has a lean presentation - so what??
hackeron, you wouldn't want to come across as a one-trick pony, would you?

Ah, you can accurately tell hertz level by ear, I gotcha.....

The problem with the ipod is /*not/* losing the sound, the problem is it plays the sound higher than it should. I hear the same bass detail, but on the karma its lower, thus more separated and doesnt sound bloated and monotonal like on the ipod.

PS, love the personal insults, keep them up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #80 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan

I would like to hear a portable player / setup that can sound more 'audiophile' than my main rig in my signature, and that isn't a slam against the portable forum, considering the amount of time that I've put in here, especially with that PCDP shootout from a couple of years back - but, reality bites, and compromises set in... The iPod keeps me happy enough on the go, and if I want to listen to better quality tunes, I fire up my main rig...

that's the thing.. there is no portable setup that can be considered audiophile, that i know of. I recently got myself an ipod mini too and I was rather disappointed given the good reviews (on its sound quality) it had received. The phone-out is definitely inferior to my 2 past pcdp(ej2000,e885) and the line-out while a big improvement is still not as good as the pcdp line-out imho

funny how technology seems to be on an inverse to sq
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #81 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
that's the thing.. there is no portable setup that can be considered audiophile, that i know of.

Agreed. I thought I was getting pretty close - using a portable source with optical out, only using CDs, portable DAC, more and more expensive headphones. It got to the point where it wasn't worth carrying around all this stuff anymore (at least not all the time). I ended up buying a flash player I can put around my neck or stick in my pocket. Is it audiophile? Decidedly not. Is it hassle free tunes to go? Most definitely, and it keeps me smiling.
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #82 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
Ah, you can accurately tell hertz level by ear, I gotcha.....

No, but I have perfect pitch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
PS, love the personal insults, keep them up
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah, just an observation.
Whilst discussions are bound to get a little hot, it is important not to spread disinformation which sooner or later becomes accepted truth by repetition.
Stating that the iPod "craps out below 40Hz" is just not true.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #83 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
Whilst discussions are bound to get a little hot, it is important not to spread disinformation which sooner or later becomes accepted truth by repetition.
Stating that the iPod "craps out below 40Hz" is just not true.

As has been said by both myself and Bangraman, and maybe others... using 'stock' earphones, or - generally, low impedance 'phones really isn't a good combination...

Use low impedance 'phones with a resistor in line, or 'phones that are about 60-80 ohm, and you'll be fine
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #84 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Agreed. I thought I was getting pretty close - using a portable source with optical out, only using CDs, portable DAC, more and more expensive headphones. It got to the point where it wasn't worth carrying around all this stuff anymore (at least not all the time). I ended up buying a flash player I can put around my neck or stick in my pocket. Is it audiophile? Decidedly not. Is it hassle free tunes to go? Most definitely, and it keeps me smiling.
icon10.gif

That's been my argument all along - if I'm schlepping the equivalent of my home stereo, I might as well stay home. I'm not doing critical listening on a plane.

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #85 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
That's been my argument all along - if I'm schlepping the equivalent of my home stereo, I might as well stay home. I'm not doing critical listening on a plane.

It took me a while to realize this, but I started spending 30 minutes to pack my gear, making sure I had batteries, cables and CDs to listen to, and then feeling guilty if I didn't break out my kit on the plane. I shouldn't feel obligated to listen to music or feel like it's a hassle when I want to. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, but it's just not possible in the portable world.

However, it's horses for courses, as they say. I'm not abandoning my "high end" portable gear, but I just don't need to take it everywhere. For example, this weekend I'll be going on a relatively short plane trip but be away for the weekend. For the plane I'll have my flash player. However, in my carry-on I'll pack my pcdp, DAC, amp and headphones and enjoy relaxing in the hotel room at night. If I'm going on a business trip for a day, or commuting into the city carrying the bigger kit just doesn't make sense.

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #86 of 88
Quote:

As has been said by both myself and Bangraman, and maybe others... using 'stock' earphones, or - generally, low impedance 'phones really isn't a good combination...

Use low impedance 'phones with a resistor in line, or 'phones that are about 60-80 ohm, and you'll be fine
biggrin.gif

E5 arent really low impedance but the really low bass feels missing on the Ipod. It sounds far more monotonal and bloated, as if there is a hump around 50-60hz that overpowers part of the mids.

Allenf is right, I did over exaggerate about ipod capping out under 40hz, but the 20-30hz doesnt sound quite right. Its there, but its lacking and it really feels like some notes play higher than they should.

The situation greatly improved on my new Rio Karma although a) I've used both from headphone out unamped and b) it is the best I've heard so far, so I dont have a good basis of comparison.

In any case, I would like to hear about ways of improving the sound with this resistor option?

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #87 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
It took me a while to realize this, but I started spending 30 minutes to pack my gear, making sure I had batteries, cables and CDs to listen to, and then feeling guilty if I didn't break out my kit on the plane. I shouldn't feel obligated to listen to music or feel like it's a hassle when I want to. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, but it's just not possible in the portable world.

totally! trick is to convince yourself the portable setup is good enough and get back to enjoying the music
etysmile.gif

(which all the ipod stock bud owner had already been doing)

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #88 of 88
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I havent tested phones with different impedance against the ipod but from what i understand both the ety er6i and shure e3c were designed specifically to be paired with ipods, both are low impedance phones. Is it only the bass or the total quality of the sound..

I am currently using the shure e2c with my ipod. should i "invest" in another phone
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back