Best Active Speakers that are NOT monitors??
May 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mambo12

New Head-Fier
I've read the reviews of tons of powered speakers and all of the recommended ones are all studio monitors. Based on my understanding, they do not provide the best listening experience compared to normal speakers.

The notable ones that I know about:

Audioengine A5+
Dynaudio BM5 MKIII
Adam A7

I'm looking for something in the range of $800/pair and currently am auditioning a pair of A5+. Just wondering how do non-monitors sound compared to them.

Any suggestions?

May 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 6
Isnt the Adam A7 a studio monitor, and the Audioengine a normal active speaker?

Studio monitors provide a great listening experience in the near-field setup.

May 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a pair of Swan M200MKIII.  At $400 I'm pretty happy with the sound coming from them but I don't have much experience with other brands of actives so I can't say which is best.  Compared to my non-active speakers I have no problem using the Swans.  It's not a let down by any means but again, they are near-field but in a small room I tend to be fine with the sound even 8-12 feet away.

Quote:
Swan M200Mk???? (I have no idea what version they're at now and all online dealers seem to be out of stock of everything)
Aktimate Mini

May 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 6
yes, the thing is, i have not heard non-studio active speakers to know if there is a difference, which is why i'm asking this question.

the audioengines are studio monitors as well, as far as i know. and the swan m200 is out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back