BEst active speakers for pc:your opinion
Mar 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 19
Let me be the first to steer you clear of the A2, i just sold a pair that i'd been trying to love for a year. They HAVE to be properly EQ to sound good. When EQ they are right and proper. Out of the box the bass hump around 125hz is like 6+db. Im going back to the swans m200 mkiii, I had the original m200 and they were my absolute favorite of all time, hoping the mark iii doesn't let me down. I also owned the audio engine DAC and wasn't impressed. With the budget stretched to 800 i would go for the kefx300 which might be the best game in town.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 19
Let me be the first to steer you clear of the A2, i just sold a pair that i'd been trying to love for a year. They HAVE to be properly EQ to sound good. When EQ they are right and proper. Out of the box the bass hump around 125hz is like 6+db. Im going back to the swans m200 mkiii, I had the original m200 and they were my absolute favorite of all time, hoping the mark iii doesn't let me down. I also owned the audio engine DAC and wasn't impressed. With the budget stretched to 800 i would go for the kefx300 which might be the best game in town.

Agree. A2s are pretty good for small $200 speakers, but you can do better.

I'd recommend either the JBL LSR305 or Emotiva Airmotiv 4. Then, if the person doesn't have a soundcard with line out to plug them into, buy them a DAC to go with it, such as the Audioquest Dragonfly.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Yep, the A2's are great if size is the primary consideration (and aesthetics since the white ones look nice next to Macbooks or iMacs) followed by the best fullrange response; however, as much as 75hz -3db roll off point is acceptable if your number one priority is size (and looks), that hump in the upper bass is just horrible. The bass is actually too loose and flabby (usually you'd expect this from lower freqs), not surprising when you consider that they're squeezing as much (easily audible upper) bass as possible out of speakers that size.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 19
that hump in the upper bass is just horrible.

Yep

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioengine-2-powered-loudspeaker-measurements

Not a good choice if one doesn't have to have that small speaker. Not sure I would go with it then, either. I think a lot of the excitement about the A2s comes from people without much other (better) speaker experience.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 19
These aren't that much bigger than the A2's, but will probably sound better with its bigger drivers. I've had the D1080MkII 08, and only sold it because I might move soon and I can't have it collecting dust here while my cousin tries to facilitate its sale if I don't sell it in time. A friend has them now and he's still very happy about getting them for about $90 from me.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=439

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 19
For $500, the new emotiva airmotiv5s for sure. If you want something just a tiny bit smaller, the new airmotiv4 is a good choice as well. I've tried the old airmotiv4 with my gungnir and loved how it sounded. I could only imagine that the new improved 5s would sound even better.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 19
If the speakers have to be placed near to a wall you should look for a pair with the "basshole" (don't know the right english word) at the front. KRK Rokit or Adams use this design.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 19
Plugging the port is not always a good idea. It changes the tuning point of the sub, effecting the bass response. The drivers also have to work harder to produce the same volume, thus lowering the max output of the speaker.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 19
Fairly compact with engaging sound: Focal Book XS

http://www.whathifi.com/review/focal-xs-book

The B&W MM1 are also quite good, but less fun.

More expensive, but also better: KEF X300A (as already mentioned)

I had the Audioengine A2 and sold them in a hurry - I was surprised how poorly they sounded after all the glowing reviews.

I also did not care too much for the Airmotiv 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back