Best active/powered 2.1 for $150 - $300
Jul 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

robbiest

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for speakers for my dorm with great sound quality but an emphasis on the quality of bass. I would go with something like the Swan M10s but I'm worried the bass will be lacking, as the the subwoofer does not seem to be a true "sub" woofer. Something less designed for jazz — I like 90s rap, Biggie, Nas, Dr. Dre, Big L, Tupac etc. Other options I've explored are the Audioengine A2s, Swan m200(?) mkIIs... Should I go with one of these and get a sub woofer in addition?

Anyone else out there who loves this kind of music, but doesn't want to sacrifice sound quality for powerful bass? (the Logitech Z-2300s come to mind)

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Since it's dorm I assume it'll be a fairly small space.
Bigger speakers won't make much difference and may sound worse in this scenario.
Get decent computer speakers like Soundsticks or MX5021.
Audioengine A2 is good but the bass won't go deep because of its size so go for 2.1 if you want heavier bass.
Yon won't do better by spending more.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Forget about the sub, stretch your budget just a bit and get a pair of Berhinger Truth. They're ugly as sin. The build quality (fit and finish) is pretty dismal, but as far as sound is concerned, they punch WAAAAAAY above their weight. 8" woofers deliver enough real bass instead of the boom and blur you'll get from a cheap sub. And they put out more than enough volume to go with you when you move off campus. Feed them some lossless files and they'll sound like a couple of grand worth of component system.

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back