Best active noise cancelling phones??
Dec 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #31 of 35
I've never owned any active noise canceling headphones, but I know with the Bose QCs, you can turn on the NC without playing any music to just get the noise reduction. Do any of these other models do this? specifically the sennheiser models.

When I used my custom IEMs on flight in the past, I could still hear the noise of the engines. Maybe I'm just felling it *shrug*

I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to wearing a circumaural active noise canceling headphone over an IEM. Would the passive plus the active noise reduction be better then just one or the other?

I doubt it, but I'm curious what others think.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #32 of 35
Well, my brother once got a pair of cheap crappy noise canceling 'phones when his group shipped a product.

the audio was terrible, but if you just switched them on and listened to silence, they did a terrific job of erasing server farm noise - which isn't entirely unlike sitting in the middle of a jet engine.

So it could work.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never owned any active noise canceling headphones, but I know with the Bose QCs, you can turn on the NC without playing any music to just get the noise reduction. Do any of these other models do this? specifically the sennheiser models.

When I used my custom IEMs on flight in the past, I could still hear the noise of the engines. Maybe I'm just felling it *shrug*

I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to wearing a circumaural active noise canceling headphone over an IEM. Would the passive plus the active noise reduction be better then just one or the other?

I doubt it, but I'm curious what others think.

I've done it with my brother's awesome ATH-ANC7. The cord is removable so I used the headphones to cancel plane noise while on a flight.
They sound great too. Also, unlike the Bose they still work when your battery dies. The SQ suffers since they like their built in amp but it is better than nothing (which you get with QCs) in an emergency.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #34 of 35
I have a pair of QC2's that I use when flying, and they really are great for that purpose. They sound much better than cheap headphones, but the $300 price tag is for the noise cancellation, not sound quality. Generally I use these in conjunction with a pair of regular earplugs (no music playing). This definitely eliminates fatigue from engine noise.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #35 of 35
I've had the three types (high end Senns, ATH ANC7, and various passive IEMs).

The Senn's lost too much bass with the noise cancellation on.

My last plane trip, I switched back and forth between the ANC7 and IEM's. The IEM's won for more noise cancellation and sound quality.

I'd like the try the QC2's sometime, but don't want to pack a large set of cans anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back