Best ABX'ing program??
Jun 23, 2007 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wgr73

1000+ Head-Fier
What would you guys choose?

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 17
Ears 2.0 ?
biggrin.gif

seriously though, erm WinABX... I take it you are using a Windows PC?

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 17
I choose ABC/HR-Java
Not because its great (it actually sucks big time), but because its the best/only ABX application for Mac OS X.

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Windows xp, yeah.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 17
Foobar ABX plugin seems the most convenient.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 17
Lol are you serious? I have foobar! Man, ok so foobar can rip, encode, ABX, and what else? It looks way too simple for all of the stuff I'm finding out it does! How do you run the ABX test with foobar?

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 17
Lol, you just beat me to it...by seconds. Where do you get that
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you run the ABX test with foobar?

I believe that the ABX component is included with the regular Foobar2000 distribution. Select two tracks (Ctrl + left click), right click on one of them, and under "Utils" select the "ABX Two Tracks..." option.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that the ABX component is included with the regular Foobar2000 distribution.

Indeed. During installation, you have to make sure to run a complete (full) installation, though.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 17
So I tried the one in foobar and the results are really astonishing:
I couldn't observe any difference on Lame 3.97 encoded 96kbit (high) mp3 vs. wav :lol: My configuration was X-Fi -> HD 595. Do you think that I am deaf ? Or what does it mean when I do not hear any difference ? At least I was able to decide on 64kbit mp3 vs. wav, where the difference was quite obvious :lol: I was always in doubt if I can hear any difference in 128kbit MP3 vs CD audio, now I know it for sure.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by appletree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't observe any difference on Lame 3.97 encoded 96kbit (high) mp3 vs. wav :lol: My configuration was X-Fi -> HD 595. Do you think that I am deaf ? Or what does it mean when I do not hear any difference ? At least I was able to decide on 64kbit mp3 vs. wav, where the difference was quite obvious :lol: I was always in doubt if I can hear any difference in 128kbit MP3 vs CD audio, now I know it for sure.

Sometimes it comes down to knowing what to listen for. If you're blasting some multi-layered rock music than the MP3 is doing its job in masking the deficiencies. I have a test track for this stuff that I can hear up to 256 before the line blurs, and it consists of someone playing an arpeggio on a piano while someone else snaps or claps, or similar. It's on the Waking Life soundtrack which was recorded in a real space with lots of musicians around so the dirty details are all present. So I can hear the entire nature of the "snaps" change with most levels of MP3. Would I miss that tiny detail in regular listening *without* ABX? Umm, probably not. But the basic point is that most people won't hear a difference unless they find the right source material.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks guys!

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by appletree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't observe any difference on Lame 3.97 encoded 96kbit (high) mp3 vs. wav :lol: My configuration was X-Fi -> HD 595. Do you think that I am deaf ? Or what does it mean when I do not hear any difference ?

No, you're not deaf. You've just discovered that perceptual encoding schemes used in modern lossy codecs have gotten very very good. Now enjoy your music!

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 17
Code:

Code:
[left]So I tried the one in foobar and the results are really astonishing: I couldn't observe any difference on Lame 3.97 encoded 96kbit (high) mp3 vs. wav[/left]

Congratulations on all the disc space you're about to save. It's about the only thing you'll get to save by visiting head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back