Best AA batteries for sound quality
May 4, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 97
Apparently battery choice makes a difference in headphone amps though?
Some have claimed that nimh (especially eneloops) sound better in certain pportable amplifiers.

Hmmm. tbh I recommend lithium because they last forever....or eneloops because they don't leak charge if you leave them. Not because of sound.

May 4, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently battery choice makes a difference in headphone amps though?
Some have claimed that nimh (especially eneloops) sound better in certain pportable amplifiers.

Hmmm. tbh I recommend lithium because they last forever....or eneloops because they don't leak charge if you leave them. Not because of sound.

Admittedly, I am one of those "somebaody". Yes for my SuperMicro-IV, 1.2V SANYO Eneloop AAA did have that sublime ubringing to the sound, not that sort of day and night difference but very subtle. And Eneloop has the best discharge rate found in rechargeables, so that may contribute to something
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #19 of 97
Guys, the only differences in the batteries, is the time they last, period...do not make of this another snake oil/voodooish argument in audio OK? i ahve several kinds of batteries here, from 1850mAh to 2500mAh, all sound exactly the same, to me and to everyobdy....
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 97
From what I've seen of battery specsheets the real difference that they make is how much current they deliver not in total but at what draw levels, and voltages.

Voltage shouldn't make a difference becuase a good device will stop working when it simply doesn't have enough voltage to guarantee 100% operation.

May 4, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 97
Quote:

i ahve several kinds of batteries here, from 1850mAh to 2500mAh, all sound exactly the same, to me and to everyobdy....

Everybody..??? Heresy!!! You can't know what it sounds like to someone else. Just because it is essentially impossible by any stretch of science for an audible difference to exist you still aren't allowed to claim that someone else can't hear it! Turn over your Head-Fi card right now...

May 4, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #24 of 97
biggrin.gif
Great joke or....best troll ever!

May 4, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 97
Ok, this is what you want.

A three-phase power supply!!! This will definitely add the 'juice' to your player. Heres how to connect to it:

1. Find the closest telephone poll.
2. Climb up it until you see a box similar to the picture posted above.
3. Look for "+" and a "-" terminals, plug your headphones into the player...

At this point you may or may not choose to say 3 "Hail-marys" (your choice).

4. Grab both terminals.

**For about .0000000000000000234 seconds you will hear some severe BASS.**

Tell some of your friends to let us know how this test goes
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #26 of 97
And, of course I'm just kidding! I don't think it matters all that much
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 97
from what I heard, a NiMH is the best kind as they deliver a pretty consistent voltage, until they crap out and need recharging, whereas an alkaline will slowly drop voltage, and can affect sound quality if the amp needs a certain minimum voltage to work. My Go-Vibe sounds horrible on a nearly flat alkaline battery, with a NiMH it works great, then just stops working when the Nimh craps out.

Of course alkalines usually last longer though.

May 4, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 97
Well personally I've found that it isn't so much the type of battery, but more the percentage charge remaining that makes all the difference. I find that somewhere in the region of 15-30% charge gives the best overall sound. Fully charged batts come over all boomy at the bass end, and kinda harsh in the highs.

May 4, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #30 of 97
I've compared a 12V battery (without any reserve capacitors) on a T-amp versus a nice 12V power supply and the difference is immediately obvious. The power supply was far more dynamic because it could deliver more current, and had reserve capacitance. It's not far-fetched to say that batteries that could deliver more current will sound better, all else equal. I do not see how measureable and observable differences such as the current rating of a battery, can be "voodoo". The voodoo card has been used too much lately. Only blind testing would shut up such people who use the name of science but do not even have science degrees.

How about this: Lithium AA battery versus those flat zinc batteries. Both are the same voltage (3V). I'm quite sure people will notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back