Best 60GB solution......refurb iPOD 5G+ RockBox?
Dec 26, 2006 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CloudySkies

100+ Head-Fier
I really need to pick up a 60GB+ dap and am down to either the X5 or iPOD 5G unless something amazing comes out during the upcomming CES. I'm basically just going for form factor, audio battery performance, etc and don't care too much about video playback. Apple's refurbished 5G iPODs for $230 are really looking good to me right now, only problem is that I can't stand the iPOD's stock sound/EQ and need something much more bassy, punchy, and "fun". So if I wen't with the 5G iPOD, would the RockBox firmware pretty much be a perfect fix for solving my distaste for the iPOD's sound quality? What's the downside to using the RockBox firmware, does it still allow all of the 5G iPOD's functions to work and can I still keep the iPOD interface/display album art/watch video/download and play games/etc? How hard is it to install the RockBox firmware, and is it something that a novice like myself could pull off if there's more to it than just a simple download/sync operation? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 2
If battery life is a big concern, then the X5 (with Rockbox) is a better choice than the ipod with Rockbox.

As for your other questions, I suggest that you go to http://www.rockbox.org, click "Manual" and download the manual for the ipod video. It will give you a good idea of what the installation process is like, as well as an overview of Rockbox's features. Note that Rockbox is a replacement firmware; it does not keep the ipod interface--though it does allow you to dual-boot, so the Apple interface is available should you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back