Best 5-6K DACs that can act as a preamp?
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #16 of 25
PS Audio Directstream Sr is a pretty amazing DAC. It’s like Christmas each time Ted releases a new firmware (and they’re free!!!). Used to run in directly to my Pass XA60’s which sounds really good. Adding a a Pass pre took it up another notch

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #17 of 25
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 25
PS Audio Directstream Sr is a pretty amazing DAC. It’s like Christmas each time Ted releases a new firmware (and they’re free!!!). Used to run in directly to my Pass XA60’s which sounds really good. Adding a a Pass pre took it up another notch
That DAC is definitely towards the top of my list to check out.
I am looking to build a 4.4mm Copper foil XLR cable for the DMP-Z1, and If I can do that, that makes the most sense for me, especially with the added use as a portable DAP.
DMP-Z1 also can have free firmware

there is one in Australia being listed for 6k or so, brand spanking new
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/sony-dmp-z1r-high-end-digital-audio-player
Thats only for Australia. Just tried to order it, and won't ship outside the country.
Thank you for finding it, unless I find a better deal, i'll order it from Accessory Jack as soon as their shipping is figured out.

Been looking into making 4.4 mm Copper foil interconnect cables, XLR. I have a 4.4mm plug on it's way. How is the quarantine treating you?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 25
That is a DAC high up on my list. I qould love to give it a listen in my system if I can.
But the DMP-Z1 is absolute magic with my iems, and if I can make it work, it's an absolute no brainer for me this time around.

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #20 of 25
DAC most important is the digital interface. How does expensive DAC receive and convert universal data into i2s ? Most are using General FPGA such as Chord, or Xillints or X-mos...etc... Sony has it own proprietary chip , which is dedicated to music. What does PS Audio use for Digital interface ?

outbreak is causing me boredom =/

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #21 of 25
DAC most important is the digital interface. How does expensive DAC receive and convert universal data into i2s ? Most are using General FPGA such as Chord, or Xillints or X-mos...etc... Sony has it own proprietary chip , which is dedicated to music. What does PS Audio use for Digital interface ?

I have yet to hear anything approaching the DMP-Z1, it was a complete showstopper for me. And the fact that I can modify it to suit my tastes is also another consideration.

This shutdown needs to end asap, it's been almost a month now that I have stuck in my house...alone.
On a bright side, just made my 1st Copper foil speaker cables, and they sound beyond fantastic, keeping me plenty entertained.. for the moment.

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 25

PS Audio has a very unique FPGA that is continuously updated and improved by the genius of Ted Smith. Basically, it takes the incoming signal, upsamples it to 20x DSD processing the signal and then outputs it at 2x DSD. The sound is truly glorious!

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 25
For the $6K price range brand new the Chord TT2 is really good. If you are looking for more analog sound then the Metrum Adagio is the Pavane with preamp functionality.

If you can stretch to the Dave or Dmp z1 I recomend checking out the dCS Bartok. IMO it outperforms the Dave and Dmp-Z1 but it is more expensive and I believe that there is a wait for them. A bonus is that it has the network bridge built into it.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 25
PS Audio has a very unique FPGA that is continuously updated and improved by the genius of Ted Smith. Basically, it takes the incoming signal, upsamples it to 20x DSD processing the signal and then outputs it at 2x DSD. The sound is truly glorious!
I believe That is the Converter. I was asking about the digital Input end on that unit. Is it Xmos ? Or Amanero

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 25
If willing to go separates hpa4 and dac 3 b were a great choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back