Best 5.1 headphones?
Oct 31, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 9
don't bother with surround-headphones and get a decent software program to handle the 5.1 to 2.0 mixdown on your pc... (or pc's don't do sacd right? get a surround processor)
... how do you play your sacd? the arcam doesn't do sacd either?

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 9
The best 5.1 surround headphones are probably the Speedlink Medusas. They sound like if you strapped 5 pairs of skullcandies to your ears.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best 5.1 surround headphones are probably the Speedlink Medusas. They sound like if you strapped 5 pairs of skullcandies to your ears.

That's 5 times the horribleness?

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

That bad huh?

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Gotta love that surround sound transistor radio quality!

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by turboflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That bad huh?

take any skullcandy headphone that has wek everything except the bass ( not GOOD bass mind you, but a lot of thump) annnnnnnd multiply everything by 5.

actually tbh quite enjoyable for Drum and Bass. other than that, dollar store headphones have better quality.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 9
I have a pair of Speedlink Medusas bought in about 2004. Unfortunately the pin for the .1 channel broke about 2 months ago.

I found them good for gaming and movies but wouldn't recommend them for music. The surround effect was somewhat convincing. I could clearly tell the difference between front and back as well as left and right but overall everything seemed to be too wide, with nothing ever really seeming central.

Bass wise, they were deep and powerful but lacked accuracy of tone or speed of response. It was absolutely essential that they be used with a soundcard where bass crossover frequency could be set. The satellites didn't have enough range and the 'sub' channel had to be set accordingly or you could hear the transition between the two, or worse there would be an audible range gap between the 'satellites' and 'sub'. I found about 100Hz seemed to work OK.

For the rest of the range they lacked detail and accuracy. On the plus side they were very comfortable and could throw quite a convincing soundstage. On a couple of occasions I genuinely forgot I was wearing them and thought I had my (admittely not that great and in a small room) PC speakers on.

I have no plans to replace mine unless I can get an older set. I did a bit of reading around and it seems the design has changed in the past year or two.

Originally the Medusas had 3 sets of identical 'satellite' drivers. The recent sets have had a larger set of front left and right drivers, with smaller rear and centre drivers. I've seen several users report that it seems like no bass is coming from the rear drivers as a result. Unless you had a soundcard where you can independently set bass crossover frequency for different sattelites I can't see them being at all satisfactory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back