Best ~$400 Used Full Size For Death Metal?
Feb 7, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tool462

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for a new (to me) set of full size cans for desktop listening from USB (FLAC/320k) at work. For now they will be driven by Schiit Magni2/Modi2 stack but that might upgrade in the future.

Requirements:
-Buying to listen to melodic death metal, technical death metal, metalcore and deathcore
-Used price around $400
-Closed or Open doesn't matter
-No balanced XLR cable (1/4" or 3.5mm is fine)

I currently have Fostex T50RP modded at my desk and MeeAudio Pinnacle P1 for on the go so I'm looking for something better.

If there really is a great DAC/amp/headphone combo that is amazing for metal around the $700 range used I could start with the cans and work on the other pieces later.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 7
Worth noting that I hopefully just pulled the trigger on a Schiit Lyr + Schiit Bifrost as my new source...

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 7
I am looking for a new (to me) set of full size cans for desktop listening from USB (FLAC/320k) at work. For now they will be driven by Schiit Magni2/Modi2 stack but that might upgrade in the future.

Requirements:
-Buying to listen to melodic death metal, technical death metal, metalcore and deathcore
-Used price around $400
-Closed or Open doesn't matter

That still depends on what you want it to sound like, not the genre. People would stay away from the HD650 and LCD-2, and even the HD600 for metal and rock, but I still use an HD600 with an EQ that takes it closer to the HD650.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 7
Good point. I would say I lean toward a "neutral" sound as much as that is attainable anyway. I won't say the modded T50RP that I currently have are muddy but they don't seem to be "fast" enough to keep up with some of the noodly tech death like Obscura or Necrophagist.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Good point. I would say I lean toward a "neutral" sound as much as that is attainable anyway. I won't say the modded T50RP that I currently have are muddy but they don't seem to be "fast" enough to keep up with some of the noodly tech death like Obscura or Necrophagist.

Maybe look into the HE400S or HE400i.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 7
AKG K240 sextett,either the MP or LP version-$125.00
Vintage receiver to drive them-$250.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back