Best <$350 tube amplifier
May 6, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #31 of 42
anybody found a distributor/seller on the net/ebay for the Darkvoice THA 336 amp?

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #32 of 42
Jul 20, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #33 of 42
Jul 20, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnl
Hey all

I'm currently enjoying HD650's out of a Maxed ProtaphileV2^2 (not the newest update) and have been looking at tube amplifiers of late. Wanted a few suggestions. I figure you all owe me one - this site is pure evil!
Budget is $350 US tops.

Looking at:
Rockhopper's Millet Hybrid - wont be around long
Laconic EC-01
Little Tubes Little Dot III - (+) version if available

Any comparisons or other suggestions? What do you think about hybrids?

Thanks,

Dan

---------------------------
Headphones: Koss PortaPro, Koss KSC75, Koss KSC50, AKG K501, Grado SR60, Beyerdynamic DT880 (2006), Sennheiser HD650
Amps: PA2V2, Maxed Portaphile V2^2
Source: M-Audio Transit, waiting for Zhaolu 2.0 (w. PCM-1794)

MF is nice
plainface.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #35 of 42
Actually the newest version of the Little Dot II+ does not have any problems with hum or microphonics...or at least my 1 week old unit doesn't. I think that is a problem with previous versions. That said, I have no idea how it would compare to the more expensive amps you all are talking about since I've never heard them.

I'm completely taken by the tube amp sound so I may just have to get another one in the future so I'll be following this thread closely. I'm really interested in that Bottlehead amp.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #36 of 42
try to get this one.

1.jpg

Anrun best listen A-6.0LG

according to my chinese source, it's a current best-selling
headphones amp in china and is highly regarded by many local headphiles.
it uses two 6922 and 1 6n6 made in china.
as I know, its MSRP is about $250.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #37 of 42
If you are like me, I am a Chinese-tube-a-holic. But, ordering from China, dealing with customs charges, reapairs, lost items and the language barrier is all just too much for me.

Here is my point, any price you quote for an over-seas chinese piece of equipment add $120.00

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #38 of 42
It also might be worth checking out the Eddie Current / Laconic Lunchbox. It should be noted that this amp is intended for high impedence headphones (>150ohm) only.

No one has heard one yet (that I'm aware of) but they should be shipping shortly. Personally I like having a US point of contact for anything that I buy as international shipping can eat up any savings pretty quickly.

Nate

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemeteor
Here is my point, any price you quote for an over-seas chinese piece of equipment add $120.00

$120?
come on. it's too much.

we can get it from the biggest headphones store in china
and we can cummunicate with them in english
and they're a very fast replier.

as I know, if you're living in states, you do not need to worry about customs, right?

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti
as I know, if you're living in states, you do not need to worry about customs, right?

Wrong. While customs duties might not be as surefire as other countires, I woudn't say that they don't exist becasue they do. They're justa heck of a load harder to predict, although depending on what shipping company you use, it makes it all the more likely.

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I would only recommend the Millet Hybrid if you can get it with a STEPS power supply and the discrete diamond buffers. Otherwise, my vote goes to the EC-01. I've heard nothing but good things with Sennheiser's about that amp...

I think my stock Millett sounds great. Also reports have shown that stacked Buff634 sound just as good as discrete diamond buffers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back