Best <$350 tube amplifier
May 3, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 42
THe bottlehead sex amp is another option. Its a kit though.

May 3, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 42
May 4, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 42
i've never heard a LDII or III. However i have heard they hum, and have extreme microphonics. On the Darkvoice, when i crank the volume to max, all i hear is blackness. The point to point wiring is top notch, quality parts used. Im impressed. Where is aznsensazian when you need him.

May 4, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #22 of 42
Little Dot II was very poor compared to my MAD Ear+, *very* colored / weird sound with the stock tubes.

May 4, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #24 of 42
Another recommendation for mc66ae. Listening to one at the moment and loving it

May 4, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 42
There's also the Little Dot III+, which is said to have reduced tube microphonics and better sound. I might be getting one, not really sure yet though.

May 4, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #26 of 42
Millet is a good choice. For $350 though you can get a really nice one.

Ive been enjoying my earmax. Though I haven't started tube rolling or tweeking it yet.

May 5, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Millet is a good choice. For $350 though you can get a really nice one.

Ive been enjoying my earmax. Though I haven't started tube rolling or tweeking it yet.

How is the Millett with Senns? I am also thinking of getting a millett hybrid, but I can't build one myself, and I don't know where to get one. Can someone recommend me a place to purchase? Thanks

May 5, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #28 of 42
I used to own the ld2, the darkvoice is in a totally different league. Darkvoice + zhaolu + k340 == bliss!!

May 5, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #29 of 42
how about a little comparison between darkvoice and singlepower?

i know singlepower's are a lot more expensive but...
how do they compare?

currently using LD ll. thinking of skipping darkvoice and go straight to singlepower when the time comes, around year-end i suppose. but the difference between the two is rather subtle, i might just go with darkvoice..

May 6, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #30 of 42
At the moment, I have two ends of the spectrum. ASL mg head otl and a ec01. The ec01 is currently in use, but I'm waiting for an upgrade from Craig. I don't know what kind of music you listen to but, the ASL is very tubey, lush and fluid in the middle and soft at the extremes. The EC01 is faster and more ss like in presentation. The ASL is more easily changed as it uses common tube types. The current EC01 is limited to changes in the input tube but
Craig is waiting on an upgraded model which may change the driver tubes to something more common. I don't think that either one is that great in the clearity or details department but, they are very nice amps for the price. I think that realisticly, the next level is close to the $1k cost. And at that level, you still have to make the compromises of fluidity vs speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back