Best $300-400 Speaker setup with source as a computer
Jun 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Remmy420

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm in need of some new speakers after my ancient speakers decided to go a couple weeks ago. I'm mostly going to be using these for music and maybe a movie every once in a while. The only audio hardware I currently own is my sound card, which is an Auzentech Prelude. And if it matters, I listen mainly to Punk rock. Some recommendations I've had are the Swan M200MkIIIs and the Audioengine A5s. Sorry if this has already been asked, but I tried searching and each question wasn't quite exactly what I was looking for. If it matters, I also live in Canada. Thanks! If anything is unclear, just ask.
smile_phones.gif
[size=medium] [/size]

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 21
those are probably the best two choices in that price range. I had the A5, but not the Swan's. from what I've been reading around the Swan's seems to win hands down. if you can find a dealer to audition them would be ideal, if not I'd say go for the Swan's 

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 21
for $400 i'd get either krk or mackies

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-MR5-Reference-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B0012PTJAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1277174715&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP6G2-Powered-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B001A6IC7Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1277174675&sr=1-4

havent heard the swans but both of these walk all over audioengine's imo

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 21
Get the Swans. My experience with studio monitors on my own desk has been poor. Studio monitors are not warm or inviting to listen to in any way. They are cold, clinical tools for work.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 21
I'd say go with the A5's. I am a little bit biased towards them since I am trying to sell a pair... 
wink_face.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 21
AV123 has their ELT252m for a great price and you can get a class D amplifer to power them.  There is also a system from Tweak city  and both are within your price range adn produce great sound for the price.  If you want to go with a set of bookshelf speakers I would suggest using the Tweak city gizmo as it has an output for a dedicated subwoofer to add some low end to the monitors.

Good luck with your gear hunt.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 21
No, you would have to order them from the companies so it may be pricey if you live in Canada for shipping.  That is just to give you an idea though, there are many great speaker around for reasonable amount of money.  Generally I would say avoid the "PC" type speakers...

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 21
You can get the Audioengine's from Fulcrum Audio (here).

If you live in the Toronto area, you can get M-Audio monitors from Canada Computer.  They used to be talked about (the AV-40's I believe), but I am not sure how well regarded their monitors are these days.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 21
You can find M-Audio AV40s on sale for $100 if you look around.

A random Canadian site I stumbled across yesterday: http://grantfidelity.com/site/
they have a good sale right now and free shipping. I haven't heard much about them, but preliminary google searching seems positive.

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 21
Another place you can look at is the Long & Mcquade, or any sort of music instrument store that has a pro audio/recording department.  They usually have a lot of monitors for you to take a look/listen, and I am sure if you find a model of a brand that they carry that they don't have in stock, they can order one for the store.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 21
Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to reply; I've been away. I was going to buy the swans, but they are a little too expensive, as they are coming from the US. I am now expanding my budget to 500$ CAD for a shipped set of speakers. Any suggestions? I might go with the A5's if there is nothing better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back