Best $300-$350 headphone
Jan 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gokica

New Head-Fier
Hi All

Currently I own Sennheiser HD485 + Xonar D1. I listen audio only on my desktop computer. I intend to upgrade to Xonar Essence STX and I am about to buy new higher class headphones. I live in a country where there is not much offer so my choices are:

Sennheiser HD 598, HD 600, HD 650
Beyerdynamic DT 770, DT 880 (250 Ohm), DT 990
AKG K240 II, K601, K701
Ultrasone 550 Pro
Shure SRH 840

I wish there was Denon 2000 in our stores but I can not find it.

I love the bass punch of my Sennheiser HD 485 which basically puts me in the basshead crowd. The only thing with my current setup is that although I enjoy the bass sometimes with these headphones gets muddy depending on the recording.

I listen to pop, soul and funk music. Music from Hans Zimmer, Enya, Michael Jackson etc. Mostly mp3s but I have flac as well. I will also be watching movies but music is my primary concern.

Which of these models is best for me? Which one has most clear, accurate but also big impact bass (I am speaking about the right balance between these characteristics)? I do not care about the price difference between the models.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 15
These.

Quote:
Hi All

Currently I own Sennheiser HD485 + Xonar D1. I listen audio only on my desktop computer. I intend to upgrade to Xonar Essence STX and I am about to buy new higher class headphones. I live in a country where there is not much offer so my choices are:

AKG K240 II, K601, K701
Ultrasone 550 Pro
Shure SRH 840

I listen to pop, soul and funk music. Music from Hans Zimmer, Enya, Michael Jackson etc. Mostly mp3s but I have flac as well. I will also be watching movies but music is my primary concern.

Which of these models is best for me? Which one has most clear, accurate but also big impact bass (I am speaking about the right balance between these characteristics)? I do not care about the price difference between the models.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 15
I am grateful for your answers.

Most people say that K701 lack in the bass department. I heard them for 5 minutes in one store and I found them quite accurate and refined but the bass was not there. They were not amped though.

Well if my choices fall between the Beyers and Senns which one is the best for me? I am asking because I will not have the chance of listening to them before the purchase. As I said I am listening music on my computer that will soon have an amplifier card. The stores do not have amplifiers here so what I will hear is just a weak sound which will not serve as a pointer.

Oh and one more thing. I have the option for ordering the DT 880 (600 Ohm) version. But I will need to wait for a month for those. Is it worth it?

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Most people say that K701 lack in the bass department. I heard them for 5 minutes in one store and I found them quite accurate and refined but the bass was not there. They were not amped though.

K701 really require an amp. With a good amp bass from K701 are deep and tight but not big.

I don't find that the hd600 has a good bass impact, very good textured bass yes.

Maybe between srh840/hd650 and DT770. The HD650 is the best with the right amp, but without, srh840 might be the best choice. Think on HFi 780 too.

If you can, try the pro2900.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 15
I hope that the STX amplifier and the DAC will provide satisfactory results. Now when people say I need good amp, does STX fall into this category? Will it tag along nicely with the HD 650 for example? Maybe I will be wasting money with the STX?

I do not want to sound like a troll but I am really new in this area and what I know is what I have read on forums like this basically.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Now when people say I need good amp, does STX fall into this category? Will it tag along nicely with the HD 650 for example? Maybe I will be wasting money with the STX?

The Xonar STX is a very good PC sound card which can drive any dynamic headphone. There is of course much better heaphone amp but also much more expensive.

You can easily drive the HD650 with the STX.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Hi All

AKG K240 II, K601, K701
Ultrasone 550 Pro
Shure SRH 840

I wish there was Denon 2000 in our stores but I can not find it.

I love the bass punch of my Sennheiser HD 485 which basically puts me in the basshead crowd. The only thing with my current setup is that although I enjoy the bass sometimes with these headphones gets muddy depending on the recording.

From your lost I'd go for the Sennheiser HD-600.  I and many others prefer them to the 650 which seems to have a veil.
In term of AKG, I presume that the K-1000 (and matching amp) would be out of your price range.  I like the K501 better than the K601.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 15
Everywhere I read that this card is best for its price. This just proves my theory.

OK. Thank you all so much. I believe that I have my mind set on STX + HD 650 for now.

I read many people prefer 600 over the 650 but 650 sounds like there is more to it. Maybe because it is more expensive. I understand that 650 will provide great sound stage and clarity which may balance the lack of bass (comparing to my 485).

I will be buying the gear in 10 days from now so I have time to read other people's writing.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 15
I just noticed the last post. OK so 600 is in the game as well. I do not think that I can find K501 in our stores. K-1000 and expensive AMP is not affordable. Actually where I live I can only get Beyerdynamic A1 for about EUR 700 which is too much for me. Even if I had the money I do not know if the price will justify the purchase of A1 over the STX.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I understand that 650 will provide great sound stage and clarity which may balance the lack of bass (comparing to my 485).

I don't know the HD485, but the HD650 bass are fantastic, deep, tight, very textured... its not the same league, the HD650 is an high end headphone.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:

I don't know the HD485, but the HD650 bass are fantastic, deep, tight, very textured... its not the same league, the HD650 is an high end headphone.

485 + Xonar D1 has bass that has the effect of moving. Like being in a disco and you can feel the bass in your body. Only ears are involved and yet you have the feeling that the bass moves you. Even when listening to them with low volume the bass is there and it is full, reach and prevailing.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Update. I ended up buying HD 650 + Xonar ST. I am happy with my purchase.

I am grateful to all the contributors in this topic.

Next on my list: Beyers DT 990 600 ohm (due to the bass hump).

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
485 + Xonar D1 has bass that has the effect of moving. Like being in a disco and you can feel the bass in your body.

It is likely that the bass was boosted due to the 100 Ohm output impedance of the Xonar D1. And the HD485 has dark/bassy sound to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back