Best <200$'s Headphone Setup(UnAmped or Amped) For Gaming?
Apr 28, 2004 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bazooka

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am sorry i wouldn't have done this post,but the reason is that i am unable to find a similar Post a few months ago on this forum...,Also the Search Option is disabled
frown.gif

Anyway,the thing is that i am looking for headphones that will primarily be used for Gaming,although ofcourse i listen to music a lot as well,so they should have equal qualities of gaming as well as music.Hope u understand
smily_headphones1.gif
,Ummm but still the priority is a little towards the Gaming side :$.

Ok please tell me a Setup which is under 200$'s,may those be UnAmped Cans that sound gr8 without the need of a any Amp,or Amped cans which INCLUDING the Amp should be less then 200$'s,so all in all i got 200$'s,so plz recommend me something,I will be highly obliged.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 23
The current concensus is that Audio Technica A900s are simply the best unamped cans under $200. They'd be decent for gaming too.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3ft
The current concensus is that Audio Technica A900s are simply the best unamped cans under $200. They'd be decent for gaming too.

Ummm know anyplace in the USA where i can buy them from(Online)
Thanks.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 23
Are the gaming headphones only going to be used at your home? If you plan on using them at LANs or a competition or something, then you'd be wise to get closed cans. Isolation is neccessary if you are gonna use them at any kind of LAN. I use Sony MDR V6 for gaming and like it alot, but its not very comfortable without the Beyerdynamic Pads, and its only OK for music. I havent heard any other good closed headphones, but the ones i'm looking into getting are the AKG 240s (semi closed) and the beyerdynamic 250-80. Only reason I'm not seriously looking at the A900 is the $$$.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 23
Bazooka,

Here is the thread you started a couple of month ago, it has very good info in to and a lot of opinion,

Need to buy Gaming Headphones in 170$'s Range

IMO there are a lot of good headphones for gaming, but I dont think you will find a good amp + a good heaphone inside $200. I think your best bet is to go unamped, and the A900 seem to be very popular unamped, and its in your limit of your budget. Another great headphone for gaming is Beyerdynamic DT770-250 which IMO has very good lower frecuencies, its confortable (at least to me), and due to the velour pads you wont feel like the sweat like in the leatherate pads, you might want to look for the 80 ohm version to used them unamped.

Another good options that you should be looking are,
Ultrasone HFI-650 or HFI-700 $170
Audiotechnia A500 $100
Sony V6 $70
Senn HD280 $80
Beyer 250-80 $140

Good luck with your choice,

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abula
Bazooka,

Here is the thread you started a couple of month ago, it has very good info in to and a lot of opinion,

Need to buy Gaming Headphones in 170$'s Range

IMO there are a lot of good headphones for gaming, but I dont think you will find a good amp + a good heaphone inside $200. I think your best bet is to go unamped, and the A900 seem to be very popular unamped, and its in your limit of your budget. Another great headphone for gaming is Beyerdynamic DT770-250 which IMO has very good lower frecuencies, its confortable (at least to me), and due to the velour pads you wont feel like the sweat like in the leatherate pads, you might want to look for the 80 ohm version to used them unamped.

Another good options that you should be looking are,
Ultrasone HFI-650 or HFI-700 $170
Audiotechnia A500 $100
Sony V6 $70
Senn HD280 $80
Beyer 250-80 $140

Good luck with your choice,

Whoa!
Hey thanks a lot for showing me that thread,how did u manage to locate it??
confused.gif

Isnt the search function disabled?

Anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
,thanks for the help.

Also,Thanks for other guys as well,i am seriously thinking of getting the A900's now......lets see now....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 23
Ultrasone Hfi-650 DE/hfi-700 (same phone) www.meier-audio.de

Works great for gaming. Love it for FPS. The bass is great and the sound placement is good.

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 23
I second the Ultrasones, but but I'd go with the Trackmasters (HIFI650)
wink.gif

I've built my husband a music/gaming setup with the dt770s instead, but that's because he's slightly insane, thinking the the dt770s are more comfy. But there's a backround history for that, he's sort of attached to Beyerdynamic and cares less about the sound.

Moral of the story: Don't listen to my husband, go with the Ultrasones.
280smile.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 23
I think I've mentioned it before, but for general gaming the HFI-650 have a very 3D and discernible staging despite the closeness of the soundstage in general. In UT, I was sold on the HFI-650. The DT250-80 exhibited a soundstage which while usable didn't hold a candle up to the informative HFI-650.

The DT770-250 was something I found great, which images further away than the HFI-650 while retaining staging ability. I haven't done a direct comparison and the 650's are now gone (my aim was for a fully portable phone, and the HFI-650 just wouldn't stay on my head while walking / running about) but I would recommend the DT770 as 'power gaming' phones when you have room in your budget for amplification, and the HFI-650 as all-purpose semi-portable with gaming in mind.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 23
bangraman,

How would you rank the A900, between the DT770 and the HFI-650?

Apr 29, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 23
A900 surpass HFI-650 with wider soundstage and better detalization, definitely a class higher. But HFI are quite compact and excellent as a portable or for office usage. In fact the best sounding "small" closed cans.

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 23
you can also get the a900 from www.warehouse123.com listed @ 195

i think they have cheaper/faster shipping too

Edit: actually, a buck cheaper, or 10 bucks more for express, but much much less processing time (they say 1 to 2 days) than Audiocubes(who is on backorder for weeks i've heard)

Apr 29, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abula
bangraman,

How would you rank the A900, between the DT770 and the HFI-650?

I'd rank the A900 below both for gaming purposes. The A900 are great value very pleasant all rounders with an huge lack of dependence on amping (they work pretty happily out of a 5mw Minidisc amp even) but like a jack of all trades, when pushed in certain areas they are found lacking.

The precision (not the width) of staging is what the HFI-650 has an edge on. The HFI-650 is also far more portable (although still very large) and for the most part more robust for transporting.

So it's superior for gaming. The downside is that in a musical use sometimes the HFI-650 can seem a little 'off' (can't really describe it any other way) due I think mainly to the way it handles staging. You have to get used to it. It arguably out-resolves the A900 and has better pace but I think I would probably prefer to sink back in the couch with an A900 and not the HFI-650.

On the whole, the A900 is a great phone to buy if your sources are not premium hi-fi and you need a bit of everything out of a closed phone. It's good for all types of music and it's good for games. Both the HFI-650 and the DT770 are better for gaming, but have attributes that might put you off them for music when compared to the A900. Once you start branching out into specifics... well that's when you end up like me and end up needing a phone for every concievable purpose. Beware
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back