Best $200 range amp for HD600
Dec 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 39
The RWaudio amp I have a link to in my signature has been a great little amp I picked up locally and works VERY WELL with my new HD600 headphones. The amp itself is not a tube amp and is a bit on the bright analytical side so works well with the HD600. I did the upgraded Opamp when I bought mine, I will try throwing in the original opamps and give a bit of a mini review of what I notice different between the two opamps. The original may work even better as it is even more analytical and cold than the current opamp upgrade or it may push to far the other direction. Bang for the buck though the amp is very good or at least it has been for me. Using it with my Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card by the way.

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 39
I think I'm going to get the x-head. seems like a good amp for me to enter into the world of headphone amps, maybe if I really hear fairly substantial audio differences I'll purchase a more expensive head amp.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RWaudio amp I have a link to in my signature has been a great little amp I picked up locally and works VERY WELL with my new HD600 headphones. The amp itself is not a tube amp and is a bit on the bright analytical side so works well with the HD600. I did the upgraded Opamp when I bought mine, I will try throwing in the original opamps and give a bit of a mini review of what I notice different between the two opamps. The original may work even better as it is even more analytical and cold than the current opamp upgrade or it may push to far the other direction. Bang for the buck though the amp is very good or at least it has been for me. Using it with my Auzentech Forte 7.1 sound card by the way.

I just received an RWAudio AMP1 with stock opamps installed, and the upgraded opamps to try later. I'll give it a couple hundred hours of burn-in and post my impressions in a review thread, including with the HD600.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an RWAudio AMP1 with stock opamps installed, and the upgraded opamps to try later. I'll give it a couple hundred hours of burn-in and post my impressions in a review thread, including with the HD600.

Awesome news, I love your reviews and was hoping someone like yourself with experience with alot of amps would review RWaudio's amp as I have liked it alot but have wondered how its compared to other amps. It will also be neat to see if my amateur review of the amp is very accurate compared to someone with alot of experience like yourself.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 39
Having owned the 336 + HD-650 combo, I would not recommend it for serious listening. It will sound good enough if you've never had a real amp but I think it's just not powerful enough to bring out the best in the 6xx series.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned the 336 + HD-650 combo, I would not recommend it for serious listening. It will sound good enough if you've never had a real amp but I think it's just not powerful enough to bring out the best in the 6xx series.

The problem is the HD650, not the amp. HD600 are much better.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 39
Actually honestly, I'm probably going to end up buying the hifiman ef2. I was deadset on getting the x-head, but the EF2 is looking more appealing to me, and it seems perfect for my computer setup.

Although honestly, how much of a difference will I hear in the sound? The volume is fine for me, what are the advantages of amping, I'm still confused on that.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

The problem is the HD650, not the amp. HD600 are much better.
tongue.gif

Hijacking the thread slightly, and quoting you just because my question is directed to you ^^

I read your review of the EF2 and was wondering, would you say that the EF2 is a good match for a pair of unmodified D2000? I'd also be running my ESW10JPN with it from time to time.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 39
Does anyone have experience, with Dr DAC Prime, (Esi-Audiotrak)
Its usb DAC Headphone amplifier combo, does it worth a shot or its to weak for HD 600?

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hijacking the thread slightly, and quoting you just because my question is directed to you ^^

I read your review of the EF2 and was wondering, would you say that the EF2 is a good match for a pair of unmodified D2000? I'd also be running my ESW10JPN with it from time to time.

I would say that. You may find if you have the older stock D2000 cable that the highs are slightly sharp with the stock tubes, but something like a Raytheon 6AK5 would fix that (or the newer D2000 cable that is like the D5000 cable which came with them later).

See http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6228277-post8.html

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

I would say that. You may find if you have the older stock D2000 cable that the highs are slightly sharp with the stock tubes, but something like a Raytheon 6AK5 would fix that (or the newer D2000 cable that is like the D5000 cable which came with them later).

See http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6228277-post8.html

according to MarkL, there was never a change in the D2000 cable

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to MarkL, there was never a change in the D2000 cable

Why was I reading everywhere that at some point they switched to a better cable? I hate when I read it enough times that I think it must be true.
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back