Best $200 Portable Amp?
Nov 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

justinliu

Head-Fier
I'm looking into an amp, and I'm wondering what some of the best amps are for up to $200. I've looked at the Total Bithead and the JDS Labs cMoyBB, and they look pretty nice, but I'm wondering if I can get more for more money.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 13
What is your source? What phones are you using? Do you need the DAC feature?

I generally recommend the Practical Devices XM4 with the 8620 opamp and recharge kit to my friends as a beginner amp. It seems to work well with a variety of phones/sources. I like it, but it is a bit pricey.

If you can find them, I like the old Headstage amps, also. The "total pro" versions of the Lyrix and Caffeine/Penguin Deluxe were a deal IMO. I still have my Lyrix and regret gifting the Penguin away.

Picked up a Mini3 and can't say I'm overly enthused with it due to the short battery life and the sound hasn't really pulled me away from the XM4 or Lyrix.

Older well regarded amps show up every so often and are worth considering - Meier made some decent amps that are well regarded, as did a whole bunch of defunct makers.

I'm not a fan of electronics that have the lithium pillow batteries, so amps using readily obtainable battery sizes get my consideration first.

BTW - My sources are Iaudio 7 and 9 DAPs and my usual phones are Senn HD25s and Alessandro MS1s. All my stuff is usually graded as at least" middle of the road" but it is enjoyable. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Because it's portable. Is there something wrong with not wanting to bring my desktop replacement laptop along with me while I'm traveling? o-o Just wondering.

I was asking because if you use a good portable player you don't necessarily need one. Despite what some would have you believe, an amp is not magic and won't make your music sound worlds better. You're better off putting the money towards another headphone, if you're not already in the $300 price range there.

If your headphones are hard to drive and a player can't handle it, that's a different story.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Despite what some would have you believe, an amp is not magic and won't make your music sound worlds better.

I thought that's how amps work, magic.  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

I saw that, but I have no idea how it compares to anything else, as nobody has had any experience with it.

@Head Injury

I have both some relatively easy-to-drive headphone as well as some T50RP's.... so yeah. ._. 

@1M1

I checked out the XM4, though I have yet to read an in-depth review on it. I have only a couple sources, and I was hopefully going to get myself a HifiMan HM-601, but didn't have the time... so for now I have my iPod (just like any other teenager) and my laptop.

----

By the way, the ZO2 looks really interesting... I may end up purchasing that, but I have no idea (obviously) how it compares as well.... but by now, I'm thinking that experiencing the amps myself are the way to go. The only thing is that I have a limited budget, so I won't be able to compare all of the amps at once so I can truly see which one is the nicest in my opinion.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 13
At this juncture, based on your comments, I still recommend the XM4 with 8620 and, though I have yet to hear it, the JDS with bass boost. These appear to be the lower cost standard battery options at the moment. Well, there is the fred-fred stuff as well as that guy from Lithuania I read good stuff about in European forums. Whatever...  look for a real dedicated board for the amp,

I know the XM4 allows opamp rolling to help tailer the amp to a system and I read that JDS has such a configuration as an option. I think opamp rolling capability is a plus, though I don't really try too many such options. I have been currently trying an XM4 with an 8066 opamp but I prefer the stock opamp to this one for listening, for example. Opamp rolling has its advantages. 

Since you're running Apple stuff, get a LOD ($10-$40 easy - I've had  some decent China made stuff I gave to friends in the $20 or less range) and try one of the lower priced, less than $150 , amps.  Heck, try a Fii0 E3 as such a simple amp may satisfy your wants - I've been trying one and find it listenable as well as a reminder that "master" Xin made some good points when discussing amps (read some of Xin's stuff via a google search). 

Good luck in your portable headphone amp experiance 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 13
I have an iBasso T5 on the way, if you want ultra portable and <$200 it's already getting good reviews...pretty neat IEM-oriented amp and we'll see how well it drives big cans.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 13
JDS Labs just posted their O2 complete build. It's more a luggable type of portable but it's the best sounding one you can get that's truly uncolored. If you want an augmented sound, look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back