Best $200 or under desktop amp
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 40
I`m choosing my first amp. Would you go with Darkvoice from drop or Asgard 3?

For which headphones? These are two different styles of amps.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 40
I`m looking at He400i 2020 version. But I`ll take any advise. This will be my first setup
My understanding is Planar Magnetic headphones are not great with OTL tube amps. I’d suggest the Asgard 3. The HE400i headphones are pretty efficient though so you could probably get away with a Magni 3+ or Magni Heresy. I used my HE400i for years with a Fulla 2/Dragonfly black and they did a great job.

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 40
I think for the price the Cavalli Tube Hybrid is very good with the 6XX’s and also the Zen Can is very good and can’t pic between the two as I don’t have them side by side and only heard the Zen for about 15 or 20 minutes maybe less but I did like it. For me the Bottlehead Crack is the best for the 650’s (6XX’s) but the other two isn’t too bad but I just have the CTH and just going on memory on the Zen.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #21 of 40
I think for the price the Cavalli Tube Hybrid is very good with the 6XX’s and also the Zen Can is very good and can’t pic between the two as I don’t have them side by side and only heard the Zen for about 15 or 20 minutes maybe less but I did like it. For me the Bottlehead Crack is the best for the 650’s (6XX’s) but the other two isn’t too bad but I just have the CTH and just going on memory on the Zen.
Ya I loved the sound of the CTH, but had to replace one unit under warranty and the replacement started having hissing problems when moving the volume pot and in a the right ear which bothered me too much. Decided it was time to move on from the CTH after that.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 40
FYI to everyone, I decided to get the Asgard 3. From the Asgard thread and 6xx thread it seems people who pair the two like them together. I don’t have a balanced set up so while SMSL sounds interesting, it was above my budget and I would not get the most out of the amp. I also liked that the Asgard 3 comes with a 5 yr warranty given my troubles with my CTH amp.

I’d be tempted to get an OTL tube amp for my 6xx in the future and may consider the Darkvoice at some point to compliment the Asgard.

I’m also curious to see how the new iFi 6xx amp and THX linear One amp turn out for others who may want a set up like mine. I’m not interested in waiting for those amps to be released and their reviews produced. Thanks to all the help here and hope others find this thread useful.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 40
FYI to everyone, I decided to get the Asgard 3. From the Asgard thread and 6xx thread it seems people who pair the two like them together. I don’t have a balanced set up so while SMSL sounds interesting, it was above my budget and I would not get the most out of the amp. I also liked that the Asgard 3 comes with a 5 yr warranty given my troubles with my CTH amp.

I’d be tempted to get an OTL tube amp for my 6xx in the future and may consider the Darkvoice at some point to compliment the Asgard.

I’m also curious to see how the new iFi 6xx amp and THX linear One amp turn out for others who may want a set up like mine. I’m not interested in waiting for those amps to be released and their reviews produced. Thanks to all the help here and hope others find this thread useful.
It’s your ears and not ours.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #24 of 40
My understanding is Planar Magnetic headphones are not great with OTL tube amps. I’d suggest the Asgard 3. The HE400i headphones are pretty efficient though so you could probably get away with a Magni 3+ or Magni Heresy. I used my HE400i for years with a Fulla 2/Dragonfly black and they did a great job.
I always try to go a little future proof. And I feel like Asgard 3 should be really good choice. Can you recommended a dac under $150. So far I`m looking at Topping E30. Any suggestions?

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 40
I always try to go a little future proof. And I feel like Asgard 3 should be really good choice. Can you recommended a dac under $150. So far I`m looking at Topping E30. Any suggestions?
I understand about wanting to future proof :).

I honestly don’t know much about DACs. I use my DragonFly Black as my dac at home. The Topping E30 you mentioned I’ve heard is good. The Schiit Modi is also recommended. The Modius Is the next step up but is $200 and I don’t know if it’s actually worth twice the price of the modi. If you are trending towards the Asgard 3 as an amp, check out the Thread about it on this site and ask for suggestions there or browse through.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #26 of 40
I`m looking at He400i 2020 version. But I`ll take any advise. This will be my first setup
IMO
is this your 1st setup ? you might want to look for dac+amp the whole package
He400i works well with topping dx7s or dx7pro ( both are dac+amp )
i would recommend chord ( chord mojo ) and IFI ( micro idsd bl & Xdsd )

but the cost will be over $200

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #27 of 40
IMO
is this your 1st setup ? you might want to look for dac+amp the whole package
He400i works well with topping dx7s or dx7pro ( both are dac+amp )
i would recommend chord ( chord mojo ) and IFI ( micro idsd bl & Xdsd )

but the cost will be over $200
Yes it will be my first setup. Your suggestion is a little overly budget. But thanks for suggestions

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #28 of 40
Yes it will be my first setup. Your suggestion is a little overly budget. But thanks for suggestions
It looks like your budget is $350 (going off of the $200 for Asgard and $150 for dac). There are open box Chord mojos for $400 so not far off from that and I know the Mojo is considered one of the best amp/dac out there. You may want to check that out. I don’t know much about the iFi stuff, but people tend to like them. The other amp/dac combo that gets great reviews is the JD Labs Element II ($400). Just another alternative all in one to the Asgard 3+ dac.

Only reason I am not looking at an all in one is because I already have a dac I’m going to use.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #29 of 40
It looks like your budget is $350 (going off of the $200 for Asgard and $150 for dac). There are open box Chord mojos for $400 so not far off from that and I know the Mojo is considered one of the best amp/dac out there. You may want to check that out. I don’t know much about the iFi stuff, but people tend to like them. The other amp/dac combo that gets great reviews is the JD Labs Element II ($400). Just another alternative all in one to the Asgard 3+ dac.

Only reason I am not looking at an all in one is because I already have a dac I’m going to use.

And that's how you start spending hundreds and hundreds 🤣🤣

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #30 of 40
I have heard the Mojo with many headphones and it sucks, really bad. You will be much happier with the simple $198 Schiit stack or something like Fiio Q5 or even a portable dac/amp like Xduoo XP2 which has all the same features as mojo, is more portable and costs under 100 bucks.

Q5 is great. But if you're looking for the best performance, look at a desktop rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back