Best $200 DAC AMP combo for Sennheiser HD650???
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mompy7777

New Head-Fier
Hi

Next week I will be getting my HD 6XXs from Massdrop and I don't have anything decent for connecting them

I just got a gift card from Amazon for $150 so I was wondering if you guys can recommend me a good DAC/AMP combo for around $200 available on that site, crossing fingers for Black Friday deals

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Odac seems to work well, Modi 2 is a good option as well, and maybe you can find a deal on The Element?

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Just throwing this out there: I currently drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's using a Fiio E10K and they imo seem perfectly adequate to me. I use low gain, set the volume to around 1 o'clock and Windows volume to 30% for my normal listening levels. If you're on a budget, you might want to check that out. To be fair, I haven't extensively auditioned many other amps but I doubt that they would bring much audible difference (I think most reported differences in solid-state amps could be a case of placebo but again I can't speak for certain), unless you opt for tubes of course which is another matter. Good luck, the HD6x0 series is sublime :)

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Just throwing this out there: I currently drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's using a Fiio E10K and they imo seem perfectly adequate to me. I use low gain, set the volume to around 1 o'clock and Windows volume to 30% for my normal listening levels. If you're on a budget, you might want to check that out. To be fair, I haven't extensively auditioned many other amps but I doubt that they would bring much audible difference (I think most reported differences in solid-state amps could be a case of placebo but again I can't speak for certain), unless you opt for tubes of course which is another matter. Good luck, the HD6x0 series is sublime :)
I used to own the E10k, and the Magni 2 was a big improvement :) The FiiO is good for a starter amp but I didn't like the DAC chip and it wasn't very powerful, the 650 sounded a lot better with the cleaner power of the Magni and even better from the Jotunheim!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back