Best $200 Cans best for office
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chumphries

New Head-Fier
Looking for less than $200 headphone recommendations for use at the office with the following requirements:
  • No sound leakage. I want to be able to turn the volume up to a moderately loud listening level, but it can't leak and disturb neighbors. 
  • Comfort. Going to wear these several hours a day.
  • Good for pop/folk
  • Portable is a plus but definitely not a requirement

So far I'm considering
  1. Beyer DT770
  2. VMODA XS
  3. Sony 7506 and FIIO E12 Mont Blanc

This is just for improved in-office listening. I have a pair of Fidelio X1s and a TEAC UDH01 DAC/Amp for home office use.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 10
the MDR-7506 have no need for sucha powerful amp, and better money would be spent on a quality pair of cans, especially since you already have a good home set up. the beyer would do nicely.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 10
the XS will do u good, especially if you want to listem to music on the way home or to work.

the momentum on ears are not really liked by me, though i gave them a positive review on my site. the bass really gets too boomy and uncontrolled

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 10
i bought the Beyers 770 a couple of days ago. they sound great, but i would not say they are bassy headphones AT ALL so i use the eq in the fiio e07k to crank up the bass to my liking, but i think they will be perfect for your kind of music. amp is a must have for them, so yeah, there is that... now the comfort - if i could i  would sleep in them, they feel soo nice and soft, that is the one thing you don't have to worry about. portability... i don't see them as a pair of headphones you carry around. the cable is quite long and you can't detach it, the headphones don't fold and they don't even come with a bag to carry them in. for home use they are great though. sound leakage is present as well. kind of hard to describe how much exactly. the volume in the fiio goes up to 60, i usually listen to about 40 volume which is surprisingly loud and they start to leak at about 30. just get an amp if you're going to buy them, i bought the 80 ohm version because i heard they are the one's with the most bass. they are really quite while using my phone and didn't even try to connect them to the pc as i don't own a sound card. but overall i'd say go for it if you are looking for a flat sound (MAYBE with a bit bass, for me the bass in them is low), most of all comfort and durability-they do feel tough and are made in Germany. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 10
The DT770 is extremely comfortable and the 32 Ohm version under $200 would be a good choice. I do not like the SQ of the DT770 personally. I find it lacks clarity due to the muddy bass (out of a modi+bravo tube amp AND I'm not sure about the version it was). Although, I was comparing it to the DT990 600ohm at the same time, which is vastly superior.

The XS is an on-ear headphone. It will probably leak sound. http://www.trustedreviews.com/v-moda-xs-review

The MDR-7506 is a good choice, but the ZX700/ZX701ip is better and can be had for a mere $30 manufacturer refurbished.

Check out the Sony MDR-1R, AKG K550, and ATH-M50. All three fold flat for portability and can be had for $200 or less. The MDR-1R and M50x have removable cables. The M50 also has collapsible cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back