Best 2 headphone combo for under 1000
May 31, 2020 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joshUKUSA

Head-Fier
So I currently own a fidelio x2hr and a meze 99 noir but looking to sell the 99 noir and just keep the fidelio as a gaming headset

Instead of buying one more expensive set of headphones I'm interested in the idea of having 2 complementary sets, an open and a closed to handle different types of music and am currently looking at the hifiman sundara and the fostex tx00 ebony (if I can find one) to meet these requirements

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

May 31, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 5
So I currently own a fidelio x2hr and a meze 99 noir but looking to sell the 99 noir and just keep the fidelio as a gaming headset

Instead of buying one more expensive set of headphones I'm interested in the idea of having 2 complementary sets, an open and a closed to handle different types of music and am currently looking at the hifiman sundara and the fostex tx00 ebony (if I can find one) to meet these requirements

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
The 2 that have been on my short list are the Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO and the Drop/Beyer DT177X GO. I may sell my LCD-X to fund them.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 5
The TH-X00 ebonies have great bass, and I really loved mine when I first bought them, but I find myself not reaching for them as much anymore. Part of it may be that the stock pads are really poor quality fake leather that just don't feel good, I may try an upgraded set sometime in the future to see if that helps, but they do sound pretty dang nice, I just prefer open backs usually.

My possibly favorite open-back is the Koss ESP 95/X, if you can get it in the UK for a decent price it's the best deal going in electrostats, super wide open sound, though IMO they need a bit of EQ to bring the bass up to satisfying levels (extension is great, quantity is low stock).

The AKG K371 is a really nice closed-back option if you like the Harman-curve sound. I do, and I really loved them when I demoed them, I just don't have a need for another closed back or I'd have picked them up as they're inexpensive and punch way above their weight.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 5
The TH-X00 ebonies have great bass, and I really loved mine when I first bought them, but I find myself not reaching for them as much anymore. Part of it may be that the stock pads are really poor quality fake leather that just don't feel good, I may try an upgraded set sometime in the future to see if that helps, but they do sound pretty dang nice, I just prefer open backs usually.

My possibly favorite open-back is the Koss ESP 95/X, if you can get it in the UK for a decent price it's the best deal going in electrostats, super wide open sound, though IMO they need a bit of EQ to bring the bass up to satisfying levels (extension is great, quantity is low stock).

The AKG K371 is a really nice closed-back option if you like the Harman-curve sound. I do, and I really loved them when I demoed them, I just don't have a need for another closed back or I'd have picked them up as they're inexpensive and punch way above their weight.

Yeah I've heard people criticise the pads but generally thats not really a deal breaker for me, don't mind a bit of discomfort if the sound quality is good enough and bass is certainly what I would be looking for in a closed back, as for the Koss I would really love to try out an electrostatic some time but as with most massdrop products they're not easy to come by in the UK at all

There are basically no ebonies on the market at the moment as well so if you ever fancy selling yours I'm you're guy, there's a few purplehearts around that I might go for but I've heard they're not quite as good as the ebonies

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I've heard people criticise the pads but generally thats not really a deal breaker for me, don't mind a bit of discomfort if the sound quality is good enough and bass is certainly what I would be looking for in a closed back, as for the Koss I would really love to try out an electrostatic some time but as with most massdrop products they're not easy to come by in the UK at all

There are basically no ebonies on the market at the moment as well so if you ever fancy selling yours I'm you're guy, there's a few purplehearts around that I might go for but I've heard they're not quite as good as the ebonies

IIRC of the three TH-X00 variants the Purpleheart is the most V-shaped, and the Ebony is the most neutral, though all are V-shaped to a degree. Any of the 50mm biodynamics are going to have a similar sound, so the E-Mu Teak/Rosewood/Ebony, Denon biodynamic line, Fostex biodynamic line, etc, could be worth looking at if they're easier to obtain in Europe, though of course there's still plenty of variation between the different models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back