no poll , I have the lazy person issue

My choice goes for :
same tier , first :
Falling into infinity
eek.gif

Awake
then close second
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

and somewhere close Octavarium , which I dig and like ; from time to time I like to spin also Images And Words .

Not much more then this .

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 13
This isn't in particular order, so it's not a best to worst list -

Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Awake

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Awake
Images and Words
Six Degrees

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 13
6 degrees - Prog heaven IMHO
Awake - Really dig all the control room reverb they added to a lot of tracks. Makes my Grados sound bigger and more spatious. Petruccis acoustic tones are FAR better than any of their current releases.

3rd place would be a toss-up, depending on my mood:
Train of thought - metal goodness. Very few acomplished musicians can play metal like this.

SFaM - I just like the story line (as well as the tunes).. Nicholas, Victoria, the hypno-therapist
biggrin.gif
. IMHO Petrucci doesn't get enough credit as a melodic/lyrical songwriter. Funny little thing about SFAM... It was released, then recalled for a week or two for its cover art... and then re-released with new artwork.

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
What exactly do you mean by 2-3 album? I'm thinking its a time sig..... but im not sure.

I think what the OP meant to ask is "what do you think are Dream Theater's two or three best albums?"

To me, they are Scenes From a Memory, Awake, and Images and Words. They are on a plateau above all their other efforts in my mind. Train of Thought came the closest, but it has a few rather pedanic areas, and it ultimately doesn't reach the same zenith or brilliance. Six Degrees has some great songs, and a few boring ones. FII is hit or miss, but with some real hits. Octavarium is mildly interesting at points, but I still find it a big disappointment. The other singer totally kills the debut for me.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Scenes from a Memory I consider bein their all time best...with Awake maybe second. Images and Words sound too trivial for my (hardly Radio-Crimsonized) taste....and I like Train of Tought as well.

Their live performance is consistantly outstanding.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I think what the OP meant to ask is "what do you think are Dream Theater's two or three best albums?"

To me, they are Scenes From a Memory, Awake, and Images and Words. They are on a plateau above all their other efforts in my mind. Train of Thought came the closest, but it has a few rather pedanic areas, and it ultimately doesn't reach the same zenith or brilliance. Six Degrees has some great songs, and a few boring ones. FII is hit or miss, but with some real hits. Octavarium is mildly interesting at points, but I still find it a big disappointment. The other singer totally kills the debut for me.

Wow........Anyone else wanna make me feel stupid?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back