"best" 2.1 speaker?
May 21, 2006 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

unlimitedx

100+ Head-Fier
looking for something to replace my current ancient speakers...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 13
A lot of people here, including me, do not like computer speakers and use small bookshelf speakers. I like Paradigm Atoms. A price range that you are willing to spend may be helpful.

May 21, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 13
Best is relative my friend. You need to qualify your question with your price range or we may show you bookshelves in the $10,000 range... you did day 'Best'.
very_evil_smiley.gif

In my opinion, for bookshelf monitors the sweetspot is around $1000-1500/pair. And for subwoofers a good starting point would be Velodyne's in the $1000 range. Also look at SVSubwoofers.com

What are you prepared to spend?

-Jeremy

May 21, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Also, if you have the room, you might look into a good pair of floorstanders that would negate the need for a subwoofer. The sweetspot here for me on new speakers is around $2500/pair but good used speakers can be found on A-Gon in the $1200-1500 range.

May 22, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 13
Look on Audiogon for nice used specimines of the following:

- Monitor Audio Silver Series
- B&W 600 series
- Totem Acoustics Arros or Model-1's
- Von Schweikert Audio VR-1's

Other brands to seek out include:
- Dynaudio, Triangle, JMLabs, Tyler Acoustics, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Vandersteen, Epos, Revel, and MANY MANY MANY more...

Remember, Audiogon is your friend.

Cheers,
Jeremy

May 22, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 13
No.

Do yourself a favor and get a T-Amp (you do need something to "take around" right?) and then get some high-efficiency speakers.

For Atom owners: Are they sensative enough for the T-Amp?

If so, you've got your "cheap person" setup right there!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

May 22, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedx
I like this one too... seems ok......... btw i want a system for watching movies on my laptop and music (sometimes)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9372

I have these and the mid-range on these is a bit lacking, the bass isnt all that impressive either...

I'd go for the swans m200, cheap and amazing... they are a bit big though but probably worth it

May 22, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 13
does it have to be wireless
biggrin.gif

How about a headphone and get it recabled with a very long wire
tongue.gif

Otherwise I'm not sure about wireless, except that normal headphones really sound much much better. At least from the perspective thats coming from lots of readings and posts related to wireless headphones.

May 22, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 13
That's true. But wireless is going to be so awesome in the dorms! I'm going to be living in a suite next year, so I can put my laptop on the desk and lie on the bed to watch movies, brush my teeth in the bathroom while listening to music, go over to the next door and listen to my music, take the elevator down and listen to my music (at this point I'll probably hear a lot of hissing and such).

I'm not an audiophile, heck I've never owned an expensive piece of headphones or speakers (I use the ipod earbuds and I think they are OK, shocking!! except I hate how one of them fars off my ear), so when I purchase the RS 140 I won't be terribly disappointed since I've yet to be exposed to "superior" gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back