Best 2.1 Setup for Under $200
Jan 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #16 of 27
Computer's in a small room, so I think the DAC would definitely be sufficient for the time being (perhaps so would the Klipsch). My thinking was that when I get into a larger space, I could always get a receiver then. Always had pre-assembled stereo systems in the past, so haven't spent much time with receivers. I'll check around and see what's out there.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 27
I'm using the klipsch pro media 2.1 setup right now and I really enjoy it. It has clear audio and has A lot of bass for movies. It feels like movie theater quality which is nice for a 2.1 setup. The only issues with it that I can see is that it has so much bass that it shakes my floor/walls when the bass is over half way,the sub is kinda overkill for an apartment and that unless you have a good sound card for it to be powered it doesn't sound nearly as good. It's Obviously not a 5.1/7.1 surround setup for movies but for a 2.1 it gets the job done.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 27
Just remembered I have an old 2.1 set where the speakers kept cutting out, but the sub was fine. It's definitely low-end. But could I use the sub in the short term (with the Dayton speakers and Lepai, or with a receiver), or would it just be a liability at this point (or not compatible)? I have taken a look at receivers online, and it doesn't look like I can get one for cheap (although there are a couple of places nearby where I will check to see what they've got used), and I was thinking of starting out with just the Dayton & Lepai. Would this sub be useful at all in that setup?

Insignia NS-3099 (http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/insignia-ns-3099-speaker/4507-3179_7-32154881.html)

Also, if I did go with a DAC, I could get the Hifiman HM-101 for about $50, as compared to $75 for the Fiio. I'm assuming the Fiio is probably good enough that it'd be worth the extra $25, but what do you guys think about the 101?

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 27
Well, it's looking like this particular DIY option is going to be out. Started the order process just to see how much shipping would cost and Parts Express does ship to Canada, but the charge (just for shipping) would be $76 for an order of $30 speakers and a $25 amp. (fee would be $176 if I added a Dayton sub to the order
eek.gif
). To be clear, $76 is not the total, it is $29.98 + $24.48 + $76.22.

Completely insane. The Dayton speakers are hard to find here, they are available through an amazon.ca reseller for $88 plus $36 shipping. Lepai available for $29 with free shipping.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 27
That's a good deal for the Lepai at $29. But then you have to buy speakers. Sound like used is your best bet if you want a passive speaker/amp setup.

BTW: Never did understand the DIY nickname. DIY is when you build your own speakers :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 27
There's a place nearby that has a small selection of used electronics. I will take a look and see what they've got. Cheap used speakers + $30 Lepai plus either the $50 or $75 DAC (or cheap used receiver). Not sure if this Insignia sub would be of any use at all.

In the end I may just go with the Klipsch Promedia or Edifier S330d, or maybe the Bose Companion 2 Series II (lowest price I've found is $75 + $13 ship) and build a better system later.

Tough decision, but I do want to get something as all I have right now is a pair of ****ty generic $30 speakers and the Edifier Aurora, which is cool for a mobile ipod setup but not good enough for much else.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 27
I used to own the Klipsch Promedia. If you can get them for $150, they are definitely good for computer desktop multimedia speakers. I don't think they have movie theater quality bass as their THX certification tries to suggest, but they do sound very good.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 27
Seems like pretty much all reviews for the Klipsch are positive. I wish it was a tad cheaper, but I could get it for $179 with free shipping. Best price on the Edifier is $159 + $20 shipping. As mentioned, the Bose is $75 + $13.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 27
Yeah I got mine on black friday for 100$ but imo they are worth at least 200$ rather than 150$

I replaced my Promedia's with an old receiver and a set of bookshelf speakers that could be had for $200, and it sounded much better. Didn't have quite the bass extension (I didn't have a sub to use then), but overall, the SQ was significantly improved. Or the Lepai and a good $150 pair of used bookshelf speakers will sound better.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 27
Don't sell youself short buy the Klipsch promedia 2.1 you can buy it directly from Klipsch for 139.99 with free shipping and it will blow you away definitley the best buy on the market! forget about the logitech Z623 klipsch is the best !

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #27 of 27
  Seems like pretty much all reviews for the Klipsch are positive. I wish it was a tad cheaper, but I could get it for $179 with free shipping. Best price on the Edifier is $159 + $20 shipping. As mentioned, the Bose is $75 + $13.

Keep an eye on eBay for a used Klipsch Promedia 2.1, I paid $85 for my used Promedia 2.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back