Best 2.1 setup for under $100?
Mar 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sookee

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade my 2.1 system for my laptop. I've heard great things about the klipsch promedia 2.1, but there hasn't been any good deals on it lately and $150 is out of my price range.
Would the Logitech z623 be a good option for $100? Everyone seems to hate the logitechs here.

Any suggestions on alternatives?

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 19
KRK Monitors Buy them one at a time ~$140 to fit it in your budget. Wait till you can hack the extra $40 for the first one, then save for the second. Believe me, they are worth every penny you pay. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm sorry to say, at 100 bucks a 2.1 setup isnt even worth researching. Go onto cnet reviews and pick the highest rated product by them that is strictly in your budget. Otherwise, dont be impatient, save up like 500 bucks, and get yourself Audioengine A5+ and maybe even throw in their DAC if not a behringer UCA202 or something.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 19
Actually the newer batches Promedias are dropping like flies due to a design flaw last i heard Logitechs are fine for peeps who have not heard any better else they would be cruelly exposed for their cheap sound, muddy bass, sad excuse for sats, etc so.....

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 19
What about 2 bookshelf speakers and an amp , or a 2.0 set-up the logitechs and promedias sound like complete crap but I guess for a $100 all in 1 set-up there not too bad. you get some proper speakers and add a sub later.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 19
I did some more research and now I am leaning towards the M-Audio AV 40. It's $120 on amazon right now. Is this a good price? It's a 2.0 set so I was thinking I could add a sub later on.

How does the AV 40 compare to 2 bookshelf speakers + amp for around the same price?

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 19
those are rather good speakers. Comparable to audioengine A5's but not quite so hifi. there is some mid bass muddiness and not so much bass punch but overall they sound good enough. They arent 2.1 though but its true, you can add a sub later. Even a sub like the 10 inch dayton audio one for 85 bucks will more than do those speakers justice.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 19
Loving my Pioneer SP-21-LRs that were on sale a few days ago for $50, $20 amp, in the future i might consider a DAyton/Bic $100 sub. I can't imagine what the "stereophile" version 41-LRs sound like but i hope these give you a good percentage of that sound
blink.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 19
I know this is over budget and I really REALLY hate posting products that are over the requester's budget, but the pioneer BS41 got some really good reviews. They were compared to wharfdale diamond 10.1, audioengine A5, and a handful of others and came out very very close to the top.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS41-LR-Watt-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B0045US6DE

Obviously, they are passive speakers so you will need an amp to drive them.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 19
I took a listen to those in Best Buy and really liked their sound. Only problem for me is the 6 ohm impedance. I think I saw them on newegg for around $50 recently.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 19
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20099395-47/top-10-great-sounding-speakers-from-$30-to-$400/

Might be of some interest to you.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 19
I know this is over budget and I really REALLY hate posting products that are over the requester's budget, but the pioneer BS41 got some really good reviews. They were compared to wharfdale diamond 10.1, audioengine A5, and a handful of others and came out very very close to the top.

How do these compare to the audioengine A2s?
Unfortunately $150 + amp is way out of my budget right now. Apparently they were only $105 on woot a few months ago.

I'm not really in a hurry to upgrade so I guess I'm just going to wait for an amazing deal.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 19
Compared to A2's they are better. They stack up well against P4's.

I do think though that on a 100 dollar budget you are better off goign with a cheap active monitor instead of passive otherwise you'll be compromising on 2 areas.

If you arent in any hurry to buy, Steve gutenberg has great things to say about Aon 3 speakers. Personally I feel that its weird having a 7 inch midrange with an 8 inch woofer but apparently they made it work.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 19

I bought a set of these Panasonic speakers last week based on the strength of the Amazon reviews and other Internet reviews and could not be more pleased.  I am using them with my desktop computer using a Creative Titanium sound card and the sound is very impressive and rich.  Tons better than my Logitech and Sony 2.1 computer speaker systems.  Way more than sufficient bass used as nearfield speakers.   I am powering them using an inexpensive T-amp purchased off EBay.  Smiling and grinning like a fool!  
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back