Best 2.0 speakers for under £200?
Nov 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BenAdamson

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for the best 2.0 speakers on the market on a small budget. This budget includes amplification, so it looks like I might have to use active speakers. I listen to genres that require excellent mids and highs- alt rock and electronic music, however I really enjoy a decent punchy bass to go with my more energetic tastes in music (electro swing etc.). I will be using my laptop with foobar2k playing FLAC files. I am also looking to include some sort of DAC in the budget, as my laptop's audio would not do the speakers justice at all.

How would you recommend I spend my money - which products should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Ben

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 9
i think audioengine's A2 might just fit your budget...
i heard good things about it for its price range. But i also heard a few complaints about it being a little "muddy".

i'm actually here on this forum to ask and learn about this stuff, so that's about the best i can answer. lol

if you have a bigger budget later, u could also look into external soundcards to help your laptop create sound worthy of your new speakers hehe.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Go combo of used + new?

NAD 304 Stero Amp 50 quid used
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/nad-304-integrated-amplifier/91916458

Diamond 9.1s 100 quid new
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2442-wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-pair.aspx

prolly a nice USB/external DAC in the mix 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, that looks like a good combo. Any other opinions? I am definitely looking to buy second-hand if it will mean better value.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Nov 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 9
If I use active speakers, would I be able to use something like a Fiio E10 as a DAC, or would it be better to use a separate amp&DAC combo connected to passive speakers?

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Currently looking at the Q Acoustics 2010 or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 - Which is better? Also, I don't really want to spend a ton on the amplifier, what is a decent cheap amplifier that will drive these speakers? I want to spend £100 on speakers and £50 on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back