Best $180(ish) Headphones?
Aug 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DressTolmpress

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've never bought a pair of actual good headphones before (my best so far have been some $40 Skullcandies) so I thought here would be the best place to ask.

I'm willing to spend up to $180(ish), but preferably $130(ish).

The most popular pair on the internet for that price are the ATH M50s (the ones I think I will get), but I've seen in other places that you can get a lot better for $30 more!

They will be used for everything (music, gaming, youtube etc.) but most importantly music

Some other things I need is that they have to be very well built! No plasticy, flimsy headphones that feel like they're going to break. They have to be relatively noise cancelling, it doesn't have to be that I can't hear anything else at all, but still quite a lot.

The type of music I listen to is stuff like 'Alt - J', 'Modest Mouse', 'The Shins', 'Two Door Cinema Club', 'Neutral Milk Hotel' etc. but sometimes I also listen to dubstep like 'Ry Legit', 'Arkasia' and 'Nero' but I'm not really a basshead. Also, I never listen to any kind of rap!

They must be sufficient for things like gaming and youtube aswell (it must not be terrible) but my main concern is music.

Although I'm not an audiophile (yet ;p), I believe audiophile grade headphones are the best quality ones so as long as they're in my price range, that's the type of headphones I would like.

Thank you.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 19
The Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones sometimes sell for $50, on eBay.

What do you currently plug your headphones into?

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
The Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones sometimes sell for $50, on eBay.

What do you currently plug your headphones into?

I'm willing to spend a bit more than that (unless they are better than anything more expensive ;p), and are they better than the M50s?

Also, I'm building a new computer myself and I'm going to buy a soundcard depending on which headphones I choose.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
I'm willing to spend a bit more than that (unless they are better than anything more expensive ;p), and are they better than the M50s?
Also, I'm building a new computer myself and I'm going to buy a sound card depending on which headphones I choose.

A $130 headphone budget is kind of border line, about $200 is were you start to find headphones that are a noticeably step up from cheaper priced headphones.

I could not say the ($50) Gemini are better then the ($160) ATH-M50s.

But the Gemini combined with an Asus Xonar DG sound card $20-$30.
Makes a good audio quality value, for around $80-$90.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
A $130 headphone budget is kind of border line, about $200 is were you start to find headphones that are a noticeably step up from cheaper priced headphones.

I could not say the ($50) Gemini are better then the ($160) ATH-M50s.

But the Gemini combined with an Asus Xonar DG sound card $20-$30.
Makes a good audio quality value, for around $80-$90.

But if the M50s are better and are in my price range why wouldn't I get those? ;p

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
But if the M50s are better and are in my price range why wouldn't I get those? ;p

I'm not sure I would say the ATH-M50s are better then the Gemini.
The ATH-M50 are (bassy) music headphones, not really recommended for gaming or surround sound.
When the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) first came out they were selling for $90
If you put the name "Sony" on the outside of the Gemini, I'm sure they could easily sell for $120-$140.

Also with the lower costing Gemini, it leaves room in your budget for a decent sound card.
The Xonar DG comes with a basic headphone amplifier and chances are it has a much lower headphone output impedance (hopefully improving bass quality) then the motherboard's built in audio.

But if you just like the ATH-M50s, get them.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
I'm not sure I would say the ATH-M50s are better then the Gemini.
The ATH-M50 are (bassy) music headphones, not really recommended for gaming or surround sound.
When the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) first came out they were selling for $90
If you put the name "Sony" on the outside of the Gemini, I'm sure they could easily sell for $120-$140.

Also with the lower costing Gemini, it leaves room in your budget for a decent sound card.
The Xonar DG comes with a basic headphone amplifier and chances are it has a much lower headphone output impedance (hopefully improving bass quality) then the motherboard's built in audio.

But if you just like the ATH-M50s, get them.

I just want whichever one sounds better!

Also, I have other money for the sound card, the headphones themselves can be up to $180, then I might spend at most $100 on a sound card depending on whether it's a big difference.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I just want whichever one sounds better!
Also, I have other money for the sound card, the headphones themselves can be up to $180, then I might spend at most $100 on a sound card depending on whether it's a big difference.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $154.95, plus tax and shipping
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=284640702

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ,$80, plus $5 for shipping.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=917586&is=REG&Q=&A=details

So total should be around $260.

(I use my ATH-A900Xs all the time for music)

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $154.95, plus tax and shipping
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=284640702

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ,$80, plus $5 for shipping.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=917586&is=REG&Q=&A=details

So total should be around $260.

(I use my ATH-A900Xs all the time for music)

Are A900Xs better than M50s, because you can get a pair for about the same price.

Also, I've looked around a bit and people say that external DACs are better than sound cards for the price, is that true?

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Are A900Xs better than M50s, because you can get a pair for about the same price.
Also, I've looked around a bit and people say that external DACs are better than sound cards for the price, is that true?

The ATH-A900Xs are a step (maybe two) above the ATH-M50s.

In some cases the external DAC/amps are better then the internal sound cards.
But, I've had someone tell me they liked the audio quality of the Xonar DG ($30) slightly better then the Fiio E10 ($65).

The external Audioengine D1 ($175) will not be effected by electrical noise inside a computer, which can effect the Essence STX ($175).

A DAC Destroyer USB DAC, $55, with a PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2), $65, should provide great audio for $130, and I think would sound as good as the $175 Essence STX.

But as external DAC/amps offer zero surround sound for movies and games, they do not work for all uses.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 19
I've read the ZMF modded T50RPs are much better than the m-50s, but they would scale up very well with proper amping like all the other T50RP mods out there.

as for dac/amps, I have heard good things about the xonar as well. PurpleAngel's suggestions are all good. One thing I'd like to add is the tubemagic D1, which I have heard good things about, but it's also more expensive, going at 200.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
The ATH-A900Xs are a step (maybe two) above the ATH-M50s.

In some cases the external DAC/amps are better then the internal sound cards.
But, I've had someone tell me they liked the audio quality of the Xonar DG ($30) slightly better then the Fiio E10 ($65).

The external Audioengine D1 ($175) will not be effected by electrical noise inside a computer, which can effect the Essence STX ($175).

A DAC Destroyer USB DAC, $55, with a PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2), $65, should provide great audio for $130, and I think would sound as good as the $175 Essence STX.

But as external DAC/amps offer zero surround sound for movies and games, they do not work for all uses.

Would the Xonar DG be noticeably better than the intergrated motherboard one?

Also, if I was going to get a DAC, I probably wouldn't need an amp because I know for a fact that I won't need to go louder than the intergrated motherboard amp.

And when you say DACs offer zero surround sound, what do you mean? Do they convert the audio to mono or something?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
I've read the ZMF modded T50RPs are much better than the m-50s, but they would scale up very well with proper amping like all the other T50RP mods out there.

as for dac/amps, I have heard good things about the xonar as well. PurpleAngel's suggestions are all good. One thing I'd like to add is the tubemagic D1, which I have heard good things about, but it's also more expensive, going at 200.

Oooooohhh, I hadn't seen those before! Are they open back or closed back though (It says something about it but I don't really get it.)?

And, are they better than the A900x?

Also, I don't think I'm getting an amp, I don't need it to be louder than a normal PC or phone is, and that DAC is way above my budget ;c

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 19
Buy dgx then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back