Best $150 Headphones?
Sep 12, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
HD25-SPs suck. Alessandro MS-1s own the SPs, hands down.

Never tried the HD25-1, so I can't comment on them.

the HD25-1 (not the HD25-sp) has gotten some good press lately, for a portable closed can it's a good alternative to the stay at home open MS-1.

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 38
i second the HD25-1. I've been hearing an incredible amount of good things about those cans recently

Sep 12, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
HD25-SPs suck. Alessandro MS-1s own the SPs, hands down.

Never tried the HD25-1, so I can't comment on them.

i haven't tried either of the HP25 flavors but if it's grado sound that you want, the Alessandro MS-1 at $99 is a great deal for a set of great cans. it's easy to drive out of a portable device and if you can get an amp later on, the sound will only improve with the amp.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #35 of 38
Does anyone know how the 590's compare to the 555's? I tried them at a store near me and they were pretty nice. They don't seem to be on headroom but does anyone have any comments about the 590's and not 595's?

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #36 of 38
I don't have experience with most of the other headphones mentioned, but I do have the 555's and I'd say they actually seem pretty durable and (imho) aren't too bad for portable use, not to mention that I'm quite satisfied with their sound quality.

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moos3d
Well soon I will have around $150 and I'm interested in getting myself some good ... I'm thinking about getting Grado SR60/80's but the main problem is that I will eventually need to get myself headphones for when I go out with my MP3 player.... My main concerns are how comfortable they are, sound quality and looks. So, any suggestions?

For the price, I've never heard anything better sounding than the SR80s. They come in way under your budget too. You could even get the next up SR125s at stay on budget.

I've done critical listening on the 60/80/125. My test sources were random Jazz cds, Audiophile Classical and Exile on Main Street. In my opinion, the step up from the 60 to the 80 is worth the $25. While the 125 does sound better than the 80, I'd get the 80s and spend the $55 on something else. The difference was very small. I took me a long time before I was convinced the 125s were the better of the two. I had to jump from the 80s all the way up to the RS-2 or RS-1 before I clearly prefered the higher model.

I've never had a chance to try any Grados for gaming.

The biggest downside to any Grado is the comfort. They just aren't the best for extended use. Some people have less trouble than others. I can't wear them for more than about an hour. Comfort has kept me from owning a pair.
Input impediance on the Grados is somewhat low.

Sep 16, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
For the price, I've never heard anything better sounding than the SR80s. They come in way under your budget too. You could even get the next up SR125s at stay on budget.

I've done critical listening on the 60/80/125. My test sources were random Jazz cds, Audiophile Classical and Exile on Main Street. In my opinion, the step up from the 60 to the 80 is worth the $25. While the 125 does sound better than the 80, I'd get the 80s and spend the $55 on something else. The difference was very small. I took me a long time before I was convinced the 125s were the better of the two. I had to jump from the 80s all the way up to the RS-2 or RS-1 before I clearly prefered the higher model.

I agree; the SR80 is a GREAT sounding headphone for the price. I think it has to be one of the elbows or sweet spots of the Grado lineup as far as price/performance. Of course, the SR60 is also a great phone at its price point, but I've had both and the SR80 sounds better in all respects to me (except the SR60 seems to have less treble or somehow less fatiguing highs--perhaps due to the different pads).

And while I think spending the extra $25 for the SR80 over the SR60 is a wise decision, if one is already near the $100 price point it might be worthwhile to consider skipping the SR80 and getting the MS1 at $99 shipped worldwide. I haven't personally heard the MS1, but from the posts I've read from its satisfied owners, I just don't think you could go wrong. It only costs $5-$10 more than the SR80 but is generally regarded as a tweaked SR125...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
The biggest downside to any Grado is the comfort. They just aren't the best for extended use. Some people have less trouble than others. I can't wear them for more than about an hour. Comfort has kept me from owning a pair.
Input impediance on the Grados is somewhat low.

That's a shame. I've had the SR80 with bowls and now the SR60 with comfies. They comfies are VERY comfy compared to the bowls and even the flats, but I found that they are my least preferred pads for sound quality. Maybe I'll do the quarter mod and see if it's possible to get the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back