Best $150 Headphones?
Sep 11, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #16 of 38
HD25sp's are good but no way are they as good as, the excellent, HD25-1's... which is why there's such a difference in cost...

I haven't heard the HD555, but they look good... Yet most people, including myself, would say that they're too big for portable use.

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #17 of 38
what about some grado/alessandro? Although I can't comment, I just ordered some days ago
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam
HD25sp's are good but no way are they as good as, the excellent, HD25-1's... which is why there's such a difference in cost...

I haven't heard the HD555, but they look good... Yet most people, including myself, would say that they're too big for portable use.

Well I don't go portable much but in the future I might get an iPod to replace my 128MB MP3 in the future but portable isn't that much of a concern after consideration. These will be used pretty much only for PC gaming/music.

Sep 11, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 38
I implore you to have a listen to both the HD25-1's and the HD555's for a comparison. The HD25's might look a little 'functional' but they really are the best performers out there for around $150.

It's been around for a while and it's a proven 'can'. Furthermore, because of its high efficiency it can be driven to high volumes by any portable, including the iPod.

I use these phones with my PC, my personal CDP and my iPod... and love em (as you can probably tell).
smily_headphones1.gif
(I've been playing Burnout 3 with the HD25's on and the sense of immersion is intense)

If you were to buy the HD555's you'll end up buying another pair of phones in the future when you decide to go portable... as the 555's aren't that practical for portable use....
plainface.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

I implore you to have a listen to both the HD25-1's and the HD555's for a comparison. The HD25's might look a little 'functional' but they really are the best performers out there for around $150.

It's been around for a while and it's a proven 'can'. Furthermore, because of its high efficiency it can be driven to high volumes by any portable, including the iPod.

I use these phones with my PC, my personal CDP and my iPod... and love em (as you can probably tell).
smily_headphones1.gif
(I've been playing Burnout 3 with the HD25's on and the sense of immersion is intense)

If you were to buy the HD555's you'll end up buying another pair of phones in the future when you decide to go portable... as the 555's aren't that practical for portable use....
plainface.gif

Well I know I will need new headphones for portable but there is just too much the 555's have over them 25's for me.

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 38
And what are they?

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

And what are they?

If you're refering to what the 555's have over them.. Well I like the 555 looks much more, they're actually in my price range and they look much more comfortable. I just don't like the 25-1's that much. Also I can't really test them side to side since I will be ordering them online and no place around here as far as I know sells both pairs.

Sep 12, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #24 of 38
do you need closed headphones?
closed headphones leak less sound and allow less sound in compared to open headphones.
you really shouldn't write off the used market - many people here sell headphones very soon after breaking them in.
if you're happy with open headphones, you really can't go wrong with lower end grados (SR-60). higher grados would require an amp to justify their price. same goes with higher end sennheisers (580+).
I personally had similar desires as you, but ended up purchasing used dt770's. they require quite a beefy amp. it was a bad choice because it set me off on a long journey of upgrading that has yet to end.
best of luck!

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #26 of 38
Seems to be the way, eh, Skyscraper.

Hmm.

Buying a 'hifi' product based on looks rather than sound-quality...

Anyways, ya pays ya money....
3000smile.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #27 of 38
I would say go for hd580, expect about $100~$120 for a used one. not only this is considered one of the best things to happen in the headphone world, it has much headroom to grow when you invest more in source/amp.

otherwise, I would also recommend philips HP-890, a.k.a. poorman's hd-580. somewhat tinny in higher frequency but otherwise surprisingly nice and not as rigorous amplification requriements. a bit heavy for a prolonged use, but that could be just me. i found mine for ~$30 used locally. prolly goes for a bit more in the states...

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #28 of 38
The HD580 is great, but for portable use and without an amp, I don't think they'd fit Moos3d's criteria. I haven't heard the 555, but that particular family has a good reputation.

Moos3d, do you have the opportunity at all to try any of the Grado line for comfort? There are a couple models that would probably fit your bill there -- the SR60 sounds great, is fairly portable (depending on your taste), and is only $65 or so. The Alessandro Music Series 1 is also supposed to be an excellent set of cans, and though I haven't heard them, I assume they're somewhere between the SR60 and MS2, both of which are really good headphones.

Are you interested at all in amps? Even an entry-level Cmoy will let you upgrade to higher-end headphones later without worry. I might suggest going with an upper-range entry-level headphone, like the HD497 or HD515, and fill out the rest of your budget on a Cmoy or Mint.

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
The HD580 is great, but for portable use and without an amp, I don't think they'd fit Moos3d's criteria. I haven't heard the 555, but that particular family has a good reputation.

Moos3d, do you have the opportunity at all to try any of the Grado line for comfort? There are a couple models that would probably fit your bill there -- the SR60 sounds great, is fairly portable (depending on your taste), and is only $65 or so. The Alessandro Music Series 1 is also supposed to be an excellent set of cans, and though I haven't heard them, I assume they're somewhere between the SR60 and MS2, both of which are really good headphones.

Are you interested at all in amps? Even an entry-level Cmoy will let you upgrade to higher-end headphones later without worry. I might suggest going with an upper-range entry-level headphone, like the HD497 or HD515, and fill out the rest of your budget on a Cmoy or Mint.

I most likely won't have an amp for a while since I need headphones first and other various things before an amp. I would love to try the grados on but I have no idea of any places around here that would have them and I don't know anyone that has them.

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #30 of 38
Go for the HD580's if you can swing it, you'll be better off in the long run. They actually sound good plugged directly into a source, and will sound excellent when your able to get an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back