Best ~$150 amp
Jul 23, 2006 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

benton

100+ Head-Fier
Well I am looking for an amp to match my new setup. It will look like: iPod 5G w/rockbox > Turbodock > cardas mini to mini > AMP HERE > AKG K81DJ. The only requirements are it must be portable and battery powered(smaller the better), match well with my setup, be under $150. I have been reccomended a used Xin Supermini 3. Would this be the best choice or is there better?

Jul 23, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 9
A Xin would be an excellant choice; they sound remarkable. They should be easy to find used, and at reasonable prices, once delivery starts on the IV series amps. Until then, you'll have to rely on luck to find one. I does happen, just monitor e-bay and the for sale section here.

My tiny XuperMicro III sounds almost as good as my MicroAmp when used with the MicroDac. When used with my Nano or Iriver portables with a line out, the Xin actually sounds better than the much larger and more expensive MicroAmp.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Practical Devices XM3
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 9
So the supermini3 is going to be the absolute best option for my needs? Will the PA2V2 work, because they are easy to find and I would love to save some money...

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
So the supermini3 is going to be the absolute best option for my needs? Will the PA2V2 work, because they are easy to find and I would love to save some money...

Man, I've only been around here for a week or two, but I already know that there is nothing that's gonna be the "absolute best option" for you unless you try'em all. I wish it weren't that way, but it seems like the standard idea is that to be absolutely sure you need to buy eleventy-seven possibilities and try'em all out for yourself... and even then, you can't be sure until after you burn'em in for a month or so. At least I think that's how it works :wink:

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 9
nice thing about the supermini is that it has a lot of options - bass boost, impedance, op-amp rolling...nice to have in an amp that small and that (relatively) inexpensive.

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Well if I supermini turns up for $140 or so then I will definatley get it, but I haven't seen any up for sale. I will look around, but I may have to go with the PA2V2 if I can't find one.

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Well if I supermini turns up for $140 or so then I will definatley get it, but I haven't seen any up for sale. I will look around, but I may have to go with the PA2V2 if I can't find one.

put up a "WTB" (want to buy) thread and you may get lucky. there are a number of people selling their supermini III b/c the IVs are shipping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back