Best ~$1000 tube amp for Vérité and HD800 (300Ω)
May 12, 2022 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nonnegaard

New Head-Fier
Heya folks. I recently acquired a pair of Vérités from a fellow Head-Fier, and I've had HD800s for ages. I've been looking to up my amp game for a while. I've looking to try something new in the form of tubes. I've seen some Kenzie OGs used for about $1000, but the new Woo WA23 LUNA is also... intriguing. Anyone have any idea if it's any good? Perhaps are there some CanJam attendees who are able to comment on it? I'm also fairly handy with a soldering iron, so a Crackatwoa seems pretty cool. They seem to sell built for the same as you can buy them for unbuilt, so that might be a plus.

Thoughts?

Edit: the $1000 price on the LUNA was just the deposit...

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Do the crackatwoa kit if you're up for it. Love mine. Actually preferred it for the hd800 over the mainline.

May 14, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 11
I've looked into the Mainline as well, but from what I can tell, the only huge advantage of the Mainline over the Crackatwoa is that it handles low impedance cans far better.
You'll have a wider range of available headphones in the mainline, but I enjoyed the tubey goodness of the c2a a bit more with the high impedance cans I have. Both builds are more difficult than the crack, but the c2a isn't as hard as the mainline build. I've still got the c2a at work with some upgraded capacitors.

I won't argue that the mainline is the better amp overall, but the c2a was the more ENJOYABLE amp for me. I think you might be the same with the points you made above.

May 14, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Heya folks. I recently acquired a pair of Vérités from a fellow Head-Fier, and I've had HD800s for ages. I've been looking to up my amp game for a while. I've looking to try something new in the form of tubes. I've seen some Kenzie OGs used for about $1000, but the new Woo WA23 LUNA is also... intriguing. Anyone have any idea if it's any good? Perhaps are there some CanJam attendees who are able to comment on it? I'm also fairly handy with a soldering iron, so a Crackatwoa seems pretty cool. They seem to sell built for the same as you can buy them for unbuilt, so that might be a plus.

Thoughts?

Expand a little bit and go for Elekit ? Tu-8900 :wink:

May 14, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 11
May 14, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I’d say the Quicksilver HPA. Fabulous with the ZMF lineup as well as the HD8 series.

May 17, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 11

Thoughts?

I know this post is pretty old at this point - but I can't say enough good things about my Kenzie. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend finding a model that fits your budget. Curious, what did you end up getting?

May 18, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 11
I know this post is pretty old at this point - but I can't say enough good things about my Kenzie. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend finding a model that fits your budget. Curious, what did you end up getting?
Nothing yet. I'm currently studying abroad and I've already brought a full desktop setup with me. I have no desire to drag home a tube amp on top of that x) For now, I'm leaning towards the Crackatwoa. I love tinkering, so I'll do some reading on caps and tubes to make it brighter. I think that'll give me the most bang for my buck, even if I have to spend upwards of $1500-2000 to get the product I want. I already have some ideas to make it look excellent, including a metal backplate for the power chord and RCA inputs, and an ebony veneer. I think I'll buy it in September, I turn 18 then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back