Best $1000 Source?
Jun 22, 2004 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Reader

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to a Source, I can spend up to $1000, universal player is perfered. I mainly play Redbook CDs, so Redbook playback is the most important part.

Please tell me which player you think is the the best for this price range. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
I am going to a Source, I can spend up to $1000, universal player is perfered. I mainly play Redbook CDs, so Redbook playback is the most important part.

Please tell me which player you think is the the best for this price range. Thanks.

I dont know this is best player under $1000, but the sacdmods 963sa is excellent sounding. The 963 sa plays cd's/ sacd's and dvd's but no dvd-a. With the close out pricing you can pick a 963sa up for about $250-300. The mods are <$400. So for $650 or a little more you can get a superior sounding source thats plays most of the available formats. Since you listen mostly to cd be aware this player will upsample to 96khz or 192khz for cd. The upsampling can be turned off if you dont want to use this feature, however. I use mine with a singlepower ppx3/ senn hd 650, and the sound is flawless, as far as I am concerned. The money you save will buy a senn hd 650 or get you 2/3rds of the way towards buying a ppx3 or another good amp.

www.sacdmods.com

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks a lot for the advise sacd lover, but I am looking for something sounds good for a stock unit, and I would consider mod it later to make it even better, also I don't trust any DVD player now, so I will not have anything moded until I had it for 2-3 months, (my Toshiba-4900 died in a week and friend's DVD Player died in a month...)

More input please.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Hi sacd lover,
do you know anyone who does universal mods in the US? I get really irritated by looking at all these uk shops which performs mods on standard dvd players. Anyone know if this is a common practice?
Btw, I believe denon dvd2900, pioneer dv47ai, sony dvp-ns999es are very good candidates on your list.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeinabox
You're asking for a universal player that's not a dvd player?! How would it then play dvd-audio?

If you are talking redbook only, then this thread is a good start.

You misunderstood me, I know it's going to be a DVD player, I said I don't trust them so I will wait a few month see it's not some poor build crap before I sent it for mod.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Hi sacd lover,
do you know anyone who does universal mods in the US? I get really irritated by looking at all these uk shops which performs mods on standard dvd players. Anyone know if this is a common practice?
Btw, I believe denon dvd2900, pioneer dv47ai, sony dvp-ns999es are very good candidates on your list.

It all depends on what you want to believe. Some people can't hear that much difference between the stock and the modded units. Some people swear by the mods.

Personally, I too am put off by the flashy slogans mod sites put out, such as "the secret is out! go with the best! beats $10,000 players hands down! etc." I understand the need for marketing, but I have never been comfortable with over the top marketing.

Another thing is, it is one thing to mod a $200 piece of equipment. It is quite another to mod something on the magnitude of a Sony SCD-1. In its time, SCD-1 was probably Sony's finest piece of audio engineering work. Unless the person doing the mod has credentials better than the engineers at Sony labs who designed the SCD-1, I am doubtful about the mods.

Anyway, this is just my take on things.

Another thing, different mods come and go out of fashion. A few years down the road, when you are ready to sell your unit, it's doubtful many people will remember your particular mod, and would be reluctant to reimburse you for that expensive mod you did.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
You misunderstood me, I know it's going to be a DVD player, I said I don't trust them so I will wait a few month see it's not some poor build crap before I sent it for mod.

My apologies. That's what happens when you skim b/w meetings.

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

My apologies. That's what happens when you skim b/w meetings.

No need for that, I just point out what I was trying to say.
biggrin.gif

BTW more input on which player I should get please.

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 15
I'd second the Denon DVD-2900 and Pioneer DV-47 recommendation. Best you'll do in terms of build quality and redbook performance at this pricepoint. Otherwise, wait until later in the year for the next gen players to be released.

Jun 23, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
It all depends on what you want to believe. Some people can't hear that much difference between the stock and the modded units. Some people swear by the mods.

Personally, I too am put off by the flashy slogans mod sites put out, such as "the secret is out! go with the best! beats $10,000 players hands down! etc." I understand the need for marketing, but I have never been comfortable with over the top marketing.

Another thing is, it is one thing to mod a $200 piece of equipment. It is quite another to mod something on the magnitude of a Sony SCD-1. In its time, SCD-1 was probably Sony's finest piece of audio engineering work. Unless the person doing the mod has credentials better than the engineers at Sony labs who designed the SCD-1, I am doubtful about the mods.

Anyway, this is just my take on things.

Another thing, different mods come and go out of fashion. A few years down the road, when you are ready to sell your unit, it's doubtful many people will remember your particular mod, and would be reluctant to reimburse you for that expensive mod you did.

I would agree with this somewhat, but there are certain mods that have measureable results and even the most uninitiated should be able to hear the differences. You are making a strong statement here. Things such as a clock upgrade, power supply and analog stage stage upgrade can all yield very noticeable results.

Big money mods will yield less in terms of cost/benefit, but simple and basic mods as described above should undoubtedly make a difference. It's all relative. As a beginner, I can tell you it was harder to hear differences than it is now. I thought all this talk about "harsh and digital" and "involving" was BS coming from people with too much free time on their hands. However, once I had the chance to hear true high-end stuff, I began to see what people were talking about. For me, the sound coming from a high-end source can be just awesome and engrossing. And when you hear it, you know it.

I've had the chance to hear a few sources with and without mods and back to back. Some of the more basic and cost-effective (but not always "cheap") mods really do yield a much better player. To what degree always depends on the person, however, if you can't hear any differences at all, you might be in the wrong hobby.

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 15
also something to keep in mind is most modders aren't redesigning the system. Alot of times they are just fixing the issues caused by the "marketing mind." i.e. "Lets switch opamp A with opamp B because it will save us $.03 a unit."

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 15
How about modded EMU,according to Iron_Dreamer it sounds on par with Meredian 588,wich is how much..?I bet well above $1000.Yeah,I know,sources are separated to dedicated and computer based forums,but just as an interesting alternative...

Edit
redface.gif
ops,universal player,apologies.Still,you wrote "preferred" does it mean "required"?

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
How about modded EMU,according to Iron_Dreamer it sounds on par with Meredian 588,wich is how much..?I bet well above $1000.Yeah,I know,sources are separated to dedicated and computer based forums,but just as an interesting alternative...

Edit
redface.gif
ops,universal player,apologies.Still,you wrote "preferred" does it mean "required"?

No, perferred is not required, after all like 98% of my music are on Redbook, I just plan to buy more DVD-A and SACD, that's why it's preferred.

Also I have the E-MU 1212M, but there is no way I can use them as a main, my computer is simply too loud and it's only a year old with very good parts I am not going to buy another PC for 1.5-2 years.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I'd second the Denon DVD-2900 and Pioneer DV-47 recommendation. Best you'll do in terms of build quality and redbook performance at this pricepoint. Otherwise, wait until later in the year for the next gen players to be released.

Next gen players... Hum, I might wait. But I do need one now... I don't know you think I buy one buget player from bestbuy and return it in a few weeks and buy another from CC... And if I really like it I keep it, if not keep going until next gen players hit and I decide whch one I want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back