Best ~$100 USB DAC
Sep 16, 2006 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

blargman

100+ Head-Fier
I had to ask. as i am really curious. not just because i wanted to be silly with my thread title
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso
Unless I am mistaken, this poster wants info about USB DACs, while the thread you linked to was about NON USB DACs.

The Silverstone EB01 has gotten good reviews, for well under $100.

you're right... my bad :/

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 14
I've got a Fubar that I enjoy greatly.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 14
My Number Cruncher is a solid performer. I have absolutly nothing to compare it to, but it is better than the AV710, enough so that I don't regret the 50 dollars I spent on it.

The alien looks promising too.

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
My Number Cruncher is a solid performer. I have absolutly nothing to compare it to, but it is better than the AV710, enough so that I don't regret the 50 dollars I spent on it.

The alien looks promising too.

the number cruncher looks interesting. I think i might buy it. How does it compare for example to the silverstone? Can you run headphones off of it or is an amp needed?

Sep 17, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
the number cruncher looks interesting. I think i might buy it. How does it compare for example to the silverstone? Can you run headphones off of it or is an amp needed?

You need an amp, and it is not a USB DAC.

Sep 17, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
You need an amp, and it is not a USB DAC.

Ya, i just saw that. I was thinking about getting the turtlebeach micro so i might just do that instead for now, and then when i want to get a DAC i can just hook it up to the TBs spdif. That way i dont have to carry an amp and dac around with me when i just want to do some casual listening on my laptop.

This might be a good solution for the OP as well since together they cost 75 dollars(i guess you can swap out the tb for the chaintech too if you dont want a USB card) and it seems like this is a pretty high quality DAC. The msrp was 300 dollars and the reviews of it seem pretty good.

One question though, digital is digital, right? I wont see any difference in sound quality between the digital outs of two different sound cards right?

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 14
i'm surprised nobody mention any m-audio products :\

i remember not 2 or so years ago, everyone was dying waiting for the envy24 chipset their *new, now old* cards were going to be using
biggrin.gif

the entech looks pro, but i'd need to still get something to output to it. the computer i use only has a minijack output from the onboard soundcard and i can't open the computer. it's a work pc
wink.gif
and its padlocked! lol

anyone sell these alien DAC's? two fried xbox's later, i've retired my soldering iron. hah, i'm dangerous with a soldering iron
wink.gif

just to make it more clear. i'll probably pair this dac with a tube amp of some sort to go with grado sr225's and perhaps a ATH-w5000

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 14
I think I might go with the HPDAC. I am planning on pairing it probably with a Darth Beyer and/or an AKG k701, gosh or maybe an RS-1. Most likely the Darth Beyer first.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Using the FubarII with the stock RCA cable - incredible SQ for a $100. I actually bought it on impulse - for temp use till I find a suitable DAC or CDP, so was pleasantly surprised.

I drive it thru a Cayin tube head amp though, so that may have made it smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back