Best $100-range IEMs for jogging?
Jul 6, 2007 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Walking

New Head-Fier
Hi, what started out with me at Best Buy wondering if the Bose In-Ears were better than Shure E2Cs has turned into a long, arduous journey where each new thread seems to open up another can of worms.

Depending on the recommendation topic I enter, a different IEM is asserted as "far and above the best" and then seconded and thirded. I've seen ER6(i), iM716, X3, M5, and countless others crowned as king.

So I've decided there's no way for a still-uses-his-iPod-buds newb like me to differentiate subtle differences, so I'm gonna just buy the one that will best stay in my ear when I jog. So with that in mind, which starter price IEM should I get?

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 13
Dont go Bose. They break easily. My friend had Bose In Ears, and the tips kept falling off. Microphonics weren too good either. E3 and ER6 would both do good for running, I use the Shure E500/SE530. Also, when it comes to staying in your ear, it depends on the tips you use, along with how you wire the cable. I put the cable over my ear and down my back, they never fall off.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 13
IM716 is a good deal, tho.. you won't be able to order replacement parts for it like "filters" and such. You'll have to find some other filterish paper and cut out tiny circles to fit inside... but that's what a lotta people woulda done anyway.

It can be made a lot better with an amp (even better more with a 75ohm impedance adapter), but it should sound alright without.

Don't ask me if these stay in your ear because they're still in transit.

Ya just can't beat it for $85 at newegg, tho...

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 13
Just to add one more brand to your ever growing list of IEMs, I'd like to recommend the Westone UM1. I have them and they sound great and even better with an amp.

However your main argument was the jogging part and, for me, they work perfectly while joggin. They have very low profile, so the wind doesn't affect the sound as much as with some other designs. Also with my ears the fit is just perfect and I don't even have adjust them during a 45min run.

So my vote goes to UM1
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 13
BTW.... for jogging and such, I really think the KSC75 is a better choice because it leaks sound out & in, so you can hear cars, bikers, whatever...

They are an incredibly great sounding can at only $20. Ear clip ons are actually designed very well, very comfortable... can be adjusted to any ear (as long as you have ear lobes), so they WON'T fall off.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 13
x2 on ksc 75s.

if you're intent on IEM's you could go for cx300's or some super-fi's, heard good things from both

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 13
For jogging, I'd stay away from both IEMs (due to the isolation) and clip-ons like the KSC75 (will fall off easily). I'd go with a behind-the-head style band, like the PMX-100 or iGrado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back