Best $100~ IEM's?
Oct 20, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 24
I'm curious - how do you find that the isolation compares to the SE215? I had a pair of SE215 that got lost and I've been wanting to get another pair just to have that isolated experience again, maybe even one of the more expensive SExxx models...

The Isolations great, coming right from the SE215's its not a big difference, the Shures stayed in my ear better but if seated properly I think its about the same with the two. Maybe the Shures have it by a little bit.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 24
I agree that Comply are really expensive for tips that don't last, although they are very good. And baskingshark is absolutely right, treble gets a little muffled. I use silicones whenever I can, but often I find that foam gives me a much superior seal.

So go to AliExpress and look for AnjiRui tips. You'll need to know what size the inner core is--don't tell Comply, but you can look at Comply's compatibility list

https://www.complyfoam.com/content/ALL MODELS COMPATIBILITY CHART.pdf

and then type in T400 or T500 (or whatever) and AnjiRui into the AliExpress search box to get the right nozzle size. For me, they last a lot longer than a few weeks, and they are quite cheap (though of course they'll take a while to arrive). You can get a SML assortment to try if you haven't used foams before--an experiment that costs just a few bucks--and if you know your size you can get a bunch at once. Prices vary for the same thing on AE, and don't forget to look at shipping.

I've tried some other tips from Ebay and AliExpress and there are a lot that don't stay on the nozzle--for instance SrLeeking from Ali Express, skip 'em. AnjiRui are dependable. Check the shapes in the photo--some (T300, T400 etc.) are bullet shaped (like Comply Isolation) while TS series are dome-shaped (like Comply Comfort).

Here's one seller I just ordered some TS400 from. I like to get black and red ones for left and right. They haven't arrived yet but if they're like my other AnjiRui they should be fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854585130.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.f3cc4c4dsU3isv
Awesome thanks! theyre a lot more comfy for me and seal better. Probably not great that ive been using the same foam tips in my Shures for about 2 years.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #19 of 24
I'm curious - how do you find that the isolation compares to the SE215? I had a pair of SE215 that got lost and I've been wanting to get another pair just to have that isolated experience again, maybe even one of the more expensive SExxx models...

I got rid of my Shure SE215 a few years ago, cause they weren't competitive against some cheaper CHIFI in terms of sound quality, but IIRC the Shure SE215 is just a bit better in isolation than the iBasso IT00, though this is tip dependent to some extent.

But for sound wise, you can do much better than the SE215 nowadays, for a fraction of the price. SE215 was good 10 - 15 years ago, not now though.

Even in passive isolation, there's cheaper sets that do a better deal at isolation than the SE215. U might wanna look into some unvented sets (usually the pure BA types), or even some deep insertion types like the etymotics. My go to for passive isolation is the Audiosense T800, 8 BA set, gives about 30 dB isolation. I use it for transit and stage monitoring cause of the isolation. U shaped set with excellent technicalities like imaging, details and soundstage. It is a bit bright though, but there's ways to tame the brightness such as knowles filters, tips or sources. The etymotics give almost 40 dB isolation but they were too uncomfortable for me, so I had to return them.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 24
I never had any luck with Shure yellow foamies, but the Shure Olives are such great isolation tips. I wish that form factor was available for bigger nozzles. Comply and Dekoni aren't as puffy.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #21 of 24
I got rid of my Shure SE215 a few years ago, cause they weren't competitive against some cheaper CHIFI in terms of sound quality ... My go to for passive isolation is the Audiosense T800, 8 BA set, gives about 30 dB isolation.

Interesting. I see the T800s are around 300$ - do you have any experience with the more expensive Shure IEMs like the SE535? If the iBasso can give the same isolation that's also really tempting to try out, even if I've heard that the bass can be a bit overwhelming. I think I need some headgear that are more "fun" :)

I have a pair of Tin T2s with comply tips and while I enjoy the quality I'm starting to think I'm after a sound that's a bit less neutral, more on the pleasure side of things. They don't have very good isolation either, even with the comply tips.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 24
Interesting. I see the T800s are around 300$ - do you have any experience with the more expensive Shure IEMs like the SE535? If the iBasso can give the same isolation that's also really tempting to try out, even if I've heard that the bass can be a bit overwhelming. I think I need some headgear that are more "fun" :)

I have a pair of Tin T2s with comply tips and while I enjoy the quality I'm starting to think I'm after a sound that's a bit less neutral, more on the pleasure side of things. They don't have very good isolation either, even with the comply tips.

I haven't used the SE535 or other Shures, just the SE215. The ibasso IT00's isolation is above average, but not as good as the T800. For the iBasso IT00, the subbass is more prominent than the midbass, I find it is north of neutral but not at true basshead levels. I'm a basshead though, so take my impressions with a pinch of salt. If u find something is too bassy, u can potentially use a brighter source or a wider bore silicone eartip, this can help to tame the bass amounts. I think iBasso IT00 is quite fun, but still with a thick lower mids it is a bit coloured in tonality. It has driver flex though.

I tried Tin T2, it is quite neutral and lacks bass especially subbass. Yep it isn't that fun sounding due to this, and as u say, isolation isn't good.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #23 of 24
I haven't used the SE535 or other Shures, just the SE215. The ibasso IT00's isolation is above average, but not as good as the T800. For the iBasso IT00, the subbass is more prominent than the midbass, I find it is north of neutral but not at true basshead levels. I'm a basshead though, so take my impressions with a pinch of salt. If u find something is too bassy, u can potentially use a brighter source or a wider bore silicone eartip, this can help to tame the bass amounts. I think iBasso IT00 is quite fun, but still with a thick lower mids it is a bit coloured in tonality. It has driver flex though.

I tried Tin T2, it is quite neutral and lacks bass especially subbass. Yep it isn't that fun sounding due to this, and as u say, isolation isn't good.

Thanks for this, I might start a thread discussing isolating IEMs since I find that I really miss having a pair.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #24 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back