Best <$100 headphones for flights
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ggilman

New Head-Fier
Looking for a decent pair of closed headphones for use on flights. I fly maybe two or three times a year tops.

At that price point am I better off sticking with my earbuds?

Listening to Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Radiohead, Dire Straits, etc.

thanks!

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Hard to beat V-Moda LP2 or Sennheiser LP2 imo which are $150 new but you could find them used for $100 or less. HD25 Light is pretty much the same and $130 new, maybe possible to find for less.

For $100 new there's Shure SRH440 which are also great.

Once you hear any of those you'll be using them a lot more than 3 times a year.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 11
I no longer fly very often, but from reading (not only head-fi material, but travel, business, and other related material),
it seems to me that the main choice to be made is between "noise canceling" headphones and "regular" (closed) headphones.

If you want to go with regular closed headphones, I'd suggest the classic Sony MDR-7506,
or the (relatively) "new kid on the block" the Audio Technica ATH M50X.
Both sound good, are comfortable, and cut down significantly on outside sound.
And are generally in the price range you mentioned when I last checked.

As for noise canceling, aka "active noise canceling", Bose seems to "own" that market.
But I've not explored that very thoroughly, and personally would want to look around
and see what else is out there.

Added a few links below (UK & US sourced) FYI.

https://www.techradar.com/news/audio/portable-audio/best-noise-cancelling-headphones-1280490
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...t_Noise_cancelling_headphones-Air_Travel.html
https://www.cnet.com/topics/headphones/best-headphones/noise-canceling/
http://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-accessories/travel-friendly-headphones
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnny...elling-headphones-for-traveling/#a7873d2e68bf

Happy trails,

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 11
First off, sorry for posting in the wrong area!

Second, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. Funny thing, I actually already have those Sonys & the Audio Technicas! I use them both for shooting video and when I edit. I never considered bringing them because the cables are SOOOOOOOO long. Wish you could switch them out like Sennheisers.

Thanks again, I'll report back on my findings!

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 11
Looking for a decent pair of closed headphones for use on flights. I fly maybe two or three times a year tops.

At that price point am I better off sticking with my earbuds?

Depends. If by "earbuds" you mean "IEM," then you have something with better isolation and can be more easily carried and tucked away since they're compact. If you'd try something else because they're uncomfortable maybe just try a different IEM with hopefully better ergonomics.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Really liking the looks of the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 32's, but don't like that they have a hard wired 9ft cable! This checks all the boxes otherwise. Any alternatives?

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Depends. If by "earbuds" you mean "IEM," then you have something with better isolation and can be more easily carried and tucked away since they're compact. If you'd try something else because they're uncomfortable maybe just try a different IEM with hopefully better ergonomics.

I just meant the lightning earpods that come with the iPhone. I find them uncomfortable after a time, and the sound isn't ideal, but manageable for the flight I suppose. Definitely the easiest options.

Are there any entry level IEM's that rival the sound of over the ear headphones? I've always found any earbuds to be too intrusive.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 11
I just meant the lightning earpods that come with the iPhone. I find them uncomfortable after a time, and the sound isn't ideal, but manageable for the flight I suppose. Definitely the easiest options.

That's kind of in-between but if you enjoy the wireless operation then you'll have to be prepared to deal with cables on IEMs. At best there are BT cables with the BT circuit in the middle of the cable, but the battery life is ridiculously short on most of these. I'd much rather use the Fiio BTR1 - it clips to wherever you want it and just get a shorter cable that you can manage easily.

As for the sound, most of them can be an improvement, although AFAIK the AirPods are nowhere near as bad as the original earbud that came with iPods. If anything maybe your problem has more to do with them not sealing the ear canal.

Are there any entry level IEM's that rival the sound of over the ear headphones? I've always found any earbuds to be too intrusive.

Apart from a more inside the head presentation, many here practically buy IEMs that sound a lot like their favorite circumaural (usually open cup) reference headphone. I have an HD600 with thicker Brainwavz earpads plus an EQ profile that puts them closer to the HD650, and my reference IEM is the Aurisonics ASG-1.3. My beater is the KZ ZST which has a totally different sound due to its crappy, shouty lower treble/upper midrange, but I use Neutralizer on my Androids and basically end up with a correction EQ profile that makes them sound close to the HD600.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 11
HD280pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back